Adapted Kit Recipes.

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
wanus
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Adapted Kit Recipes.

Post by wanus » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:54 pm

wanus wrote:As i said this was only my second brew and i did what it said on the tin and took two consecutive FG readings of 1012 but took no SG reading(doh) :mrgreen: I will next time and let you know the ABV.I`ll take your advice on giving it 14 days also(thanx for that)The oakchips i simply added to the brew b4 adding the yeast at the 1st fermentation stage which along with the black treacle were two tweaks i made from my first batch.Improvement is the way 4ward i think :wink:
WalesAles wrote:
wanus wrote:Hello whoevers readin this :mrgreen: I`ve just drank my second malt extract kit over xmas which was:-

Yorkshire bitter kit(Wilkos)
2 tablespoon of black treacle(molases)
Goldingshops(teabag during 1st fermentation)
American oakchip
1kg brewing sugar(wilkos)

My fatha inlaw was impressed and he knows his stuff =D> During maturation i added another goldings hop teabag then kegged it after 10 days.I was surprised 7 week later and had a jolly xmas :lol:
Hello wanus,
Good for you!
What was the SG and FG? (Hydrometer readings at start and finish)? 10 days seems a bit short before kegging, normally 14 days just to be sure it`s fermented out, 3 days reading the same. What did you do with the Oakchip?
I suppose it`s all gone now? If so, get another Brew on! =D> =D>
WA
Hello WA,another brews on same as above......the SG was 1.034 and av just took the 1st FG reading which was 1.008.Gonna add some finings over the next few days and will let youknow the final reading =P~
FV 1:Empty
FV 2:Empty
Demi 1&2:Empty
Demi 3&4:Empty
Maturing: Bastard builders brew
Bottle conditioning: Bastard builders brew
Drinking:McEwan's
Planning:More 🍺

Keep yer pecker hard and yer powder dry.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:56 pm

Hello wanus,
Thanks for the info.
WA

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:30 pm

After the success of my Sundew/Citra AIPA monster, I've decided to try a similar concept with a Coopers Aussie Lager that I picked up cheapish.

This is the plan-

Apollo IPA

12L Brewlength
1 x 1.7kg Can of Coopers O/S Lager
500g of Light DME
250g of Dextrose
25g of Apollo Whole Hops 19.50% AA boiled for 5 mins
25g of Apollo Whole Hops 19.50% AA steeped for 30mins from 80C
50g of Apollo Whole Hops 19.50% AA Dry Hop
11g of Gervin Ale Yeast @18C

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

wanus
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by wanus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:46 pm

WalesAles wrote:Hello wanus,
Thanks for the info.
WA
Hello again WA.The FG reading b4 i kegged was 1.006.I`m unsure if the OG reading of 1.034 was accurate #-o One website i`ve visited says an OG reading averages 1.040 and a FG 1.010.By your reckoning whats the ABV here then?Cheers
FV 1:Empty
FV 2:Empty
Demi 1&2:Empty
Demi 3&4:Empty
Maturing: Bastard builders brew
Bottle conditioning: Bastard builders brew
Drinking:McEwan's
Planning:More 🍺

Keep yer pecker hard and yer powder dry.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:36 pm

Hello Wanus,
Approx 3.8%
WA

twentyfootwilf

Post by twentyfootwilf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:05 pm

twentyfootwilf wrote:Just put this one into the FV, A Coopers Australian Pale Ale, made to the Ashes Ale Recipe on their web site with a few extras of my own, as follows:
Coopers APA tin,
1.5KG tin light malt extract,
250g crystal malt steeped in 2 litres cold water for 24hrs in the fridge,
50g dried orange peel boiled 15 mins and left to cool, (just had these left over from a previous brew so thought their citrus bitterness would be okay),
25g celeia hops and 25g aurora hops boiled 15 mins in the liquor from the crystal malt and orange peel,
200g dark brown sugar
200g malto dextrin
Made up to 21 litres
safale 04 yeast fermented at 21c
Will be dry hopping with another 50g mix of the celeia and aurora hops when the krausen has died down.
Just an update on this Ashes ale recipe I did back in the first half of October. After 3 months this is seriously good stuff it has matured really well. I've still got a few left and will be doing this or something very similar again. Probably wont bother with the dried orange peel as I was just using up left overs, but the celeia and aurora hops have given an excellent flavour and aroma and it has a lovely fruity finish, no doubt the Coopers APA Kit imparts this fruitiness. Well worth doing this one if you're looking to play around with a Coopers APA.

Louis Macneice

Post by Louis Macneice » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:58 am

I brewed this at the start of Jan using the following:

Coopers English Bitter can of extract
1kg amber spray malt
500g crystal (steeped @ 60 for 20 mins)
100g roasted barley (steeped @60 for 20 mins)
25g Fuggles (boiled in steeping liquid for 20 mins)
500g brewing sugar
Cooper kit yeast & Safeale 04 Ale yeast

Brewed to 20 ltrs
1st week in primary
Then 25g Fuggles dry hop
2nd week in primary
Batch primed with 90g brown sugar

Bottled kept inside for two weeks; now out in the shed.

It already tastes really good; cleared well, sufficient carbonation and head. Lot's of big malty flavour (like the Coopers IPA I tweaked) but more bitterness and a lot darker. It's like an old ale in a Harvey's Old sort of way. Now I've just got to leave it alone for a bit!

I must say I'm really impressed with the Coopers kits as a base for messing about; first the IPA and now the English Bitter have both turned out really well.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
Last edited by Louis Macneice on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Louis Macneice

Post by Louis Macneice » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:56 pm

Youngs Harvest Pilsner plus mini biab. I'm looking for a lager/hoppy ale hybrid, quite light in colour and crisp in taste which can be served chilled.

The mash part went as follows:

1000g pale 2row
100g medium crystal

Mashed in 3.5 lts of water at approx 60 degrees for 60 mins; I kept the stock pot in a warmed oven to help retain heat, checking every so often.

Heated another 3.5 lts of water to sparge my grain bag in once I'd let it drain; heated to 65 degrees. I dumped the bag into the pot left it for ten minutes and then lifted it out and drained it. After that I left bag in a colander to collect the final run off.

I combined the liquid from the original mash, the sparge and the final run off and brought to the boil, adding 50g of Saaz for 60 mins, 25g of Saaz for 20 mins and 20g of Bramling Cross for 20 mins.

In the meantime in a fermenting bin, I mixed 1kg of dry light malt extract with 3 lts of cold water. Once that was thoroughly combined, I added the 1.5kg tin of Young's Harvest Pilsner extract.

The boiled, hopped wort (approximately 4.5 lts) was then added to the fermenter through a strainer. The whole lot was topped up to 21 lts with cold water. I sealed the fermenter and left to cool to pitching temp.

When the temp was down to around 20 degrees I pitched the slurry from my first all grain 1 gallon experiment (which used Muntons Premium Gold); fermentation took off pretty much straight away.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
Last edited by Louis Macneice on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Louis Macneice

Post by Louis Macneice » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:44 am

After 1 week racked this off onto 25g Saaz to dry hop for a week.

Bottled this last Friday using 100g of sugar for batch priming and of course had a sneaky taste. I was a little underwhelmed; much less hops and lager taste than I was hoping for. The biggest flavour was sweetness from the priming sugar.

I will chill a bottle after two weeks warm conditioning and see what's happened...fingers crossed.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:12 am

Louis Macneice wrote:After 1 week racked this off onto 25g Saaz to dry hop for a week.

Bottled this last Friday using 100g of sugar for batch priming and of course had a sneaky taste. I was a little underwhelmed; much less hops and lager taste than I was hoping for. The biggest flavour was sweetness from the priming sugar.

I will chill a bottle after two weeks warm conditioning and see what's happened...fingers crossed.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
your mini mash could have been a little higher temp65 ish.
I find the same prob with saaz..a bit underwhelming
Just like trying new ideas!

AllvinStraight

Post by AllvinStraight » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:00 pm

hi,

I'm 6 days into primary fermentation of my 1st ever brew, I've gone with coopers brewmaster IPA as my 1st beer(which seems to be very popular choice amongst newbies) and I've just added some dry hops(1x12g goldings hop tea/with teabag and 50g east Kent goldings dry hops in muslin bag) to give it a bit of a lift in flavour(hopefully in a good way!) primary fermentation seems to have now slowed down to a crawling pace so hopfully I can transfer it to my 'top tap king keg' in a few days(and also fill half a dozen or so 500ml bottles to put aside)

david

neilmcca

Post by neilmcca » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:21 pm

I'm doing a Wilko Cerveza very soon, and was looking for advice to improve it a little,

was thinking of using 500g of light spraymalt, 500g of dextrose, a lager yeast, and a hop tea to improve its flavour a bit ( i believe it isn't that impressive as it is :? )

I have some hops in my freezer, chinook, hersbrucker, CF103 Experimental Hop (4.9% Alpha Described as peppery,spicy and floral), Willamette, first gold,
any suggestions would be appreciated, might dry hop some too.
I like the sound of the experimental hop but i think chinook is favorite,

cheers

Neil.

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:09 pm

over the past few years ive made 1 or 2 batches of sir ditches stout,and a mighty fine pint it is,occasionaly ive thought this tastes a bit like old peculiar,and im sure ive seen others making the same coment,so thanks to the wilkos sale i thought lets get silly and see if i can concoct something simaler.
over the hills and strange
1 can of coopers stout
1 can coopers english bitter
500g spray malt
30g fuggles boiled for 30 minutes in 4 liters of water
40 g of sovering added to the above at 5 minute, well they were lurking in the back of the freezer so thought why not
all made up to 20 litres,will check the gravity once its dropped down to pitching temp,but it does smell rather nice
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

berts

Post by berts » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:23 am

I've never seen anyone do a can of coopers stout and a can of coopers English bitter together, I be interested to see how it turns out.

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:36 am

I be interested to see how it turns out.
so will i.gravity was 1062 last night when i chucked in the 2 yeast sachets,this morning its getting very close to the "brain" stage with 10 litres of froth, so somethings working
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation