Adapted Kit Recipes.

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
TheAx

Re: Adapted Kit Recipes.

Post by TheAx » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:20 pm

I put this on on Friday using a Wilko Golden Ale Two Can Kit.

60g Crystal Malt placed in 5 litres of cold water, brought to the boil then removed.
Add one of the cans and boil for 30 minutes with 20g of Willamette and 20g of Columbus.
Add the other can and another 10g each of Willamette and Columbus and boil for a further 15 minutes.
Flame out and add another 10g each of Willamette and Columbus and steep for 30 minutes.

I used Safale S-04 Yeast.

I plan to transfer to a fresh FV this weekend and dry hop with my remaining Willamette and Columbus (about 50g of each) for another week. Crash cool and then into the keg.

I'll let you know in a few weeks how it has turned out. If the smell is anything to go by it will be a cracker. Lets hope.

TheAx

Post by TheAx » Thu May 16, 2013 9:06 pm

My above beer has been in the keg for just under a week now and early samples are absolutely superb.

My only gripe is that I didn't have any muslin bags left so just dumped the hops loose in to the FV for the dry hopping. It was a nightmare when trying to transfer it to the keg with the end of the syphon getting clogged up constantly. I probably lost about 5 litres of beer with all the faffing around I had to do.

I'd recommend this beer as a great and easy kit adaptation.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu May 16, 2013 10:55 pm

TheAx wrote:My above beer has been in the keg for just under a week now and early samples are absolutely superb.

My only gripe is that I didn't have any muslin bags left so just dumped the hops loose in to the FV for the dry hopping. It was a nightmare when trying to transfer it to the keg with the end of the syphon getting clogged up constantly. I probably lost about 5 litres of beer with all the faffing around I had to do.

I'd recommend this beer as a great and easy kit adaptation.

5 LITRES, 5 LITRES, Ooooooh I`d love to have 5 LITRES of beer right now, send it to me!
Wa

neilmcca

Post by neilmcca » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Just made up a Russian Imperial Stout :D

1 x Coopers dark ale,
1 x Coopers European lager,
1 x Simply Export stout,
1 kilo of brewing sugar (maybe i should have used spraymalt :? )
all 3 sachets of yeast (re-hydrated first).

made up to 23 litres, it's in a 30 litre fv, fingers crossed thats big enough ! i believe this will go off like Mt. Vesuvias,
i've placed the fv on a large tray with a beach towel under it just in case ! [-o<

O.G. is 1.124

Neil.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Hello Neil,
A Beach Towel? Perhaps you should take the brew to the beach! When that goes off it`s going to be awesome! Photos of the spew please on a daily basis would be a nice touch. What size FV are you using? If that gets down to 1010 you`re going to have somewhere in the range of 15.2% ABV? Good Luck, should be fun!
WA

neilmcca

Post by neilmcca » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:23 pm

it's in a 30 litre fv, i'm going to meet up with girlfriend tonight for a curry and a few bevvies and probably (hopefully :wink: ) stay over,
i'll probably come home to find a scene resembling a tanker oil spill but in my living room :(

neilmcca

Post by neilmcca » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:33 pm

WalesAles wrote:Photos of the spew please on a daily basis would be a nice touch.
Looks like i've got away with it :D , the spew hit the lid, but the air-lock remains clear,
the LCD thermometer, was at 21c a few hours after i put it in FV, so i didn't bother plugging in the heater, probably a good job i didn't.

**EDIT**
I spoke a little too soon, air-lock has started to get bunged up ! gonna have to keep an eye on this beast :shock:

neilmcca

Post by neilmcca » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:42 pm

I could do with some advice about dry hopping,
never tried it before,
i put on a Simply Pale Ale yesterday, and was thinking of adding some Chinook and/or Willamette, about 25gm of each,
does that sound like it could work ? or would anyone advise me to use only one of the above,
was thinking of adding them (via a hop bag weighted with marbles) on the 4th day.

thanks in advance for any help.

Neil.

tteknulp

Post by tteknulp » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:01 am

neilmcca wrote:
WalesAles wrote:Photos of the spew please on a daily basis would be a nice touch.
Looks like i've got away with it :D , the spew hit the lid, but the air-lock remains clear,

How is it coming along ?

Im planning some thing similar.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:02 pm

neilmcca wrote:I could do with some advice about dry hopping,
never tried it before,
i put on a Simply Pale Ale yesterday, and was thinking of adding some Chinook and/or Willamette, about 25gm of each,
does that sound like it could work ? or would anyone advise me to use only one of the above,
was thinking of adding them (via a hop bag weighted with marbles) on the 4th day.

thanks in advance for any help.

Neil.
Sounds like a good idea. Don`t forget to sterilise the bag and marbles (10 min boil) before use. Tie the bag to your FV handle so that the bag is not touching the crud on the bottom. Less disturbance when you remove the bag. Gently squeeze the bags when you remove them to keep all the lovely juice! I dry hopped a Simply Pale Ale on 16/05/13, 10L with Saaz Hops, 10L with Herbrucker Hops, had a bottle of each last night and they were both lovely.
WA

neilmcca

Post by neilmcca » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:18 pm

tteknulp wrote:
How is it coming along ?

Im planning some thing similar.
It's still in the FV mate, it went in on the 21st, so i'm giving it a few more days yet,
it went frikkin' wild for a day or so, i had to swap the air-lock for a clean one at one point as the original one got bunged up with crud even though the lid is about 5 inches above the surface of the brew.

WalesAles wrote:

sounds like a good idea. Don`t forget to sterilise the bag and marbles (10 min boil) before use. Tie the bag to your FV handle so that the bag is not touching the crud on the bottom. Less disturbance when you remove the bag. Gently squeeze the bags when you remove them to keep all the lovely juice! I dry hopped a Simply Pale Ale on 16/05/13, 10L with Saaz Hops, 10L with Herbrucker Hops, had a bottle of each last night and they were both lovely.
WA
Thanks .... gonna use Chinook, gonna try 30-40 gms of that and see what it's like.

neilmcca

Post by neilmcca » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:44 pm

I intended bottling my R.I.S. today, but i did a hydrometer check and it read 1.020.
that seems a little high to me ! so gonna check again tomorrow, (it's been in FV since the 21st june, i thought it would have been finished by now).
if it stays at 1.020 i'm looking at slightly over 14% :twisted: not to be sniffed at i guess !

MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:52 pm

Kegged a Cooper's English bitter a while ago with about 20g of East Kent Goldings made into a hop tea.

It tastes ok, but is not particularly flavoursome, it's 'bland' almost. Nothing wrong with it, but not very exciting if you know what I mean.

I've got another of the same kit to do (in the Wilko's sale), does anyone have any suggestions about how to improve it for next time?

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:05 pm

MartyMcFly wrote:Kegged a Cooper's English bitter a while ago with about 20g of East Kent Goldings made into a hop tea.

It tastes ok, but is not particularly flavoursome, it's 'bland' almost. Nothing wrong with it, but not very exciting if you know what I mean.

I've got another of the same kit to do (in the Wilko's sale), does anyone have any suggestions about how to improve it for next time?
I turned one into a tasty porter a couple of year's ago. I got the idea from a post on the Coopers forum.

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

twentyfootwilf

Post by twentyfootwilf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:54 am

Heres a Coopers English bitter I've got in the FV at the moment -
1 can Coopers English Bitter
2 x 545g jars of Aldi Honey
200g liquid molasses
100g crystal malt steeped 40 mins
500g malto dextrin (to increase mouthfeel, all that honey and molasses might thin it a bit)
15g EKG boiled 15 mins
15g EKG boiled 7 mins
Used 2 sachets Coopers yeast (the ones that dont have any lager yeast in them)
Made to 23 litres (only aiming at a session ale)
OG 1042

Hydro test after 3 days shows down to 1011 and tastes really nice not treacley at all which I thought the molasses might do - just about to dry hop it with a willamette teabag. 1 teabag might make very little difference but I dont want to overdo it as it is only meant to be a session beer.
This is close to the recipe for Extra smooth bitter on Coopers how to brew section of their site.