Adapted Kit Recipes.

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
widdersbel
Piss Artist

Re: Adapted Kit Recipes.

Post by widdersbel » Mon May 05, 2014 9:51 am

themadhippy wrote:Wilkos, oil city stout
Good name!
starting gravity 1112
Bloody hell!

Looking forward to hearing how this turns out.

BertB
Steady Drinker

Post by BertB » Fri May 09, 2014 8:34 am

=D>

Are you planning on drinking it or running your car on it? :lol:

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Sun May 25, 2014 1:59 pm

took a couple of hydro readings last week 1040ish, seems high,but they were the same 3 days running,must be stuck,or the yeast has given and is lying in a drunked stupor in the bottom of the fv, lobbed in a pack of notts yeast ,gentally gave it a stir checked temp,steady at 20c,left it alone for a week and today still 1040ish,so any other suggestion to try and get it down to a more normall botteling gravity or has it finished?
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Sun May 25, 2014 6:24 pm

you could try using a champagne yeast, something like a Lalvin E1118, but it still might struggle if there is little oxygen left in the wort.

themadhippy

Post by themadhippy » Sun May 25, 2014 7:09 pm

cheers geezah,just order some 1118,bloody postage is almost as much as the yeast,but if it gets it down to something sensible for botteling it'll be worth it
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Belcher

Post by Belcher » Sun May 25, 2014 7:46 pm

I'm too am having trub-o with my wilko kits reaching a respectable final gravity. Not as bad as Mr. Hippy but still. I have a Newkie Brown/Velvet Stout tandem to 17 liters but she won't budge off of 1.025. I can live with that as it started life around 1.083. I also did a straight Velvet Stout to 15 liters registering a starting gravity somewhere around 1.065 and has seemingly finished around 1.019. Interestingly the attenuation of each is somewhere in the region of 70% which I've read is a bit low but not unheard of. I thought I'd see if after a rousing, the yeast would get busy again but no dice. I'm bottling both batches tomorrow.

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Wed May 28, 2014 8:45 am

themadhippy wrote:cheers geezah,just order some 1118,bloody postage is almost as much as the yeast,but if it gets it down to something sensible for botteling it'll be worth it
Hi TMH

Just wondering if you rehydrated the yeast before pitching?

Such a high gravity brew would have been a harsh environment for the yeast to get going in.

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

Belcher

Post by Belcher » Wed May 28, 2014 10:45 pm

Interesting thing happened with respect to inadvertently restarting a fermentation. Having combined a Wilko Sweet Newkie Brown and a Velvet Stout and having the fermentation stall out at 1.025, I was preparing the batch to bottle by adding some cold brewed coffee. As it was too late to bottle I figured that I'd leave it for a few days. Upon cracking the fv today to make sure that my addition didn't introduce an infection, I noticed a krausen had reformed over the brew indicating a restart of active fermentation. Upon investigation I read that coffee has tannins in them which I suppose act as a yeast nutrient much like tea does when making an inmate's brew. Has any coffee brewers ever noticed this before? If so, does the restarted fermentation have an effect on the flavor (off flavors) of the beer specifically with respect to the addition of coffee?

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:15 pm

themadhippy wrote:cheers geezah,just order some 1118,bloody postage is almost as much as the yeast,but if it gets it down to something sensible for botteling it'll be worth it
Hello TMH,
Did you get your Yeast? Did it get down to bottling FG?
Updates please! :D :D
WA

themadhippy

Post by themadhippy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:36 pm

yep got the yeast and pitched it,then the world went crazy and i aint even looked at it since

wanus
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by wanus » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:57 pm

Am still watchin this space mr mad hippy its better than corrie that my mrs watches #-o .I hope the world calms down for yer man.Have yer heard of a beer called samichclaus?Your onto a winner if it turned out like that :D
Last edited by wanus on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FV 1:Empty
FV 2:Empty
Demi 1&2:Empty
Demi 3&4:Empty
Maturing: Bastard builders brew
Bottle conditioning: Bastard builders brew
Drinking:McEwan's
Planning:More 🍺

Keep yer pecker hard and yer powder dry.

wanus

Post by wanus » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:15 pm

wanus wrote:Am still watchin this space mr mad hippy its better than corrie that my mrs watches #-o .I hope the world calms down for yer man.Have yer heard of a beer called samichclaus?Your onto a winner if it turned out like that :D

wanus

Post by wanus » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:04 pm

Hello one n all.Am lookin for suggestions about tweakin a brewferm abbey kit this comin weekend.Monkeybrew on ere sez to use soft brown sugar durin primary fermentation which I av took onboard and intend to use =D> Any other tweaks anybody?

Clem dog

Post by Clem dog » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:42 am

Belcher wrote:I'm too am having trub-o with my wilko kits reaching a respectable final gravity. Not as bad as Mr. Hippy but still. I have a Newkie Brown/Velvet Stout tandem to 17 liters but she won't budge off of 1.025. I can live with that as it started life around 1.083. I also did a straight Velvet Stout to 15 liters registering a starting gravity somewhere around 1.065 and has seemingly finished around 1.019. Interestingly the attenuation of each is somewhere in the region of 70% which I've read is a bit low but not unheard of. I thought I'd see if after a rousing, the yeast would get busy again but no dice. I'm bottling both batches tomorrow.
Hi, I was just wondering how you did this brew and how it has turned out as I have both these kits sitting and was thinking of throwing them both into the fv with a kilo of dme.

I'd be interested in hearing your views on this.

clem

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:36 pm