Brewers Choice IPA - Pics

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
scottish69

Post by scottish69 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:32 am

How much priming sugar should i be adding to my 23 litres? Ive read it depends on what sugar I use too? Do these bavarian wheat beers require a different amount of c02 to ales? Ill probably go for glucose or medium DME i think.

Cheers!

scottish69

Post by scottish69 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:58 am

Hi there guys,

I've just fermented this brewers choice bavarian wheat beer too. With the wheat syrup (option 3).

My final gravity was 1.028, the yeast DID seem to do its job over 3 days, i waited for 7 before bottling it. I tastes OK, quite sweet, not much alcohol.

DIdnt really have much of a choice but to bottle it really. Didnt have any yeast vit or extra yeast to put in. I suspect the fermentation hasnt gone to completion. When i bottled there was still a krausen on top and i was told this would dissapear after 3/4 days. My hydrometer readings were stable for 3 days though.

I also put too much priming sugar into the secondary stage - about 1/3 too much as i failed to consider some of the wort would get left behind in the primary. Doh. Will this matter?

Can anybody tell me if ive screwed up?

Using a calculator on the net it says i should have 4% alcohol which sounds ok (thats for starting grav of 054, ending 030.)

Cheers,
S>

scottish69

Post by scottish69 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:58 am

Yeah over 3 days the reading was stable at 0.28.

Cant undertstand it.

Ive used plastic bottles so can i just unscrew the caps to let out some pressure? Or will that mean i wont carbonate the beer? Will it be too sweet too?

Thanks for the help!

scottish69

Post by scottish69 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:10 am

Its carbonating now - the bottles are quite hard.

Should i release the pressure given that ive over sugared the secondary stage?

Ive been fermenting inside the house so it will have been a constant 22 degrees (ish).

I believe the yeast i used was a top fermenting brewferm blanche. Apparently that may be the reason for the krausen remaining on the top...

OR .. Should i ditch this batch and start again? Id rather not wait 3 weeks only to be very dissapointed i.e. if theres no chance of this turning out ok.

Cheers,
S>

escapizm

Re: Brewers Choice IPA - Pics

Post by escapizm » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:28 pm

[quote="Chris The Fish"]Ive finally bottled my Wheat beer, leaving the way clear for my next brew, a most looked forward to Brewers Choice IPA. As its a bit different from the normal kits i decided to get the camera out and share my brew night with all!

Awesome post Chris, defo try this one soon, a few newbie q's if I may.

The Brewers Choice IPA kit is £16.95 from Hop & Grape, does that include all that is needed?

Thanks

KevP

Post by KevP » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:41 am

No it isn't, you need to add the 'sugar' part, either sugar, spraymalt, or liquid malt.

Best bet would be to add 1kg of Spraymalt.

KevP

Post by KevP » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:54 pm

Did you ever take a picture of this IPA at all? And how was the taste?

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Fri May 01, 2009 9:57 am

Hi!

How was it? I'd like to give some IPA a try and a dry kit while i'm at it.... (So far played safe with coopers kits-as I'm a newbie)

Ideally I'd like an IPA that is well balanced but with plenty of hop aroma and around the 4.5-5% ABV mark...
So would this kit together with spray malt and some sugar give me something like this?

Cheers!
:)
Guy

escapizm

Post by escapizm » Fri May 01, 2009 10:23 am

I’ve just put 2nd Brewmaker IPA on, 1st wasn’t too clever as had a bit of tapwater chlorine twang, the second is with ASDA still water, 1kg Medium DMA and dry hopped for a week with Stryrian Goldings after 1 week in FV. I know ive pushed the cost up but hope it will be worth it.

I’ve also just added hop tea to my second Wherry I can’t get enough of that hoppy taste!!!

Ill post how it went on my forum of same subject in 4-6 weeks :D

Chris The Fish

Post by Chris The Fish » Fri May 22, 2009 11:47 am

apologies for not replying sooner.

The IPA finished a bit high, but apart from that it was a cracking pint.

When you factor in the cost of the LME/Spraymalt then its an expensive pint, however worth doing IMHO.

Regards

Chris

Yeastman

Post by Yeastman » Mon May 25, 2009 8:44 am

dry hopped for a week with Stryrian Goldings after 1 week in FV

What is dry hopping, Is this where you just chuck some hops in the fv after adding the yeast.

Typhoon Tyke

Post by Typhoon Tyke » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:02 pm

Got this BC IPA in the firing line for next brew. Did my first BC (Dusseldorf Alt) a month ago and concur with everything that's been said about the being more fun than the standard kits. As good as some of the Brupacks Pride of Yorkshire kits have been, I think the BC kits will become my standard on the way (one day?) to AG (might be jumping the gun a bit as haven't tasted the matured D. Alt yet!)

Anybody made this Alt beer Kit? A quick taste on bottling revealled a residual flavour of the Brewferm Framboise from the FV, could be an interesting variation but a bit annoyed that it may mask the true flavour of the Alt beer.

This has been one of the most interesting and informative threads, and I've really enjoyed all the input - great work Chris in starting it off.

keitha109

Post by keitha109 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:10 pm

Heres a question....
Do you need to sterilise the boiling pan or is the fact that you're going to bol the liquid in it enough to keep things free from contamination?

JayBee

Post by JayBee » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:56 pm

I`ve never felt the need to sterilise anything thats going to be boiled, I`ve assumed the boiling itself is enough and I`ve had no problems so far.

woolyghost

Post by woolyghost » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:48 am

I'm sorry, I'm new to this but are you saying that in All Grain Brewing you would not sterilise the Mash Tun / Boiler or anything that comes before the Cooling / Pitching stage?

I have been thinking about this already and wondering weather I've been going over the top.