Brewers Choice IPA - Pics

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
KevP

Re: Brewers Choice IPA - Pics

Post by KevP » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:57 pm

woolyghost wrote:I'm sorry, I'm new to this but are you saying that in All Grain Brewing you would not sterilise the Mash Tun / Boiler or anything that comes before the Cooling / Pitching stage?

I have been thinking about this already and wondering weather I've been going over the top.
I personally sterilise everything except my boiler, thats the only thing thats going to see boiling water, the chiller goes in (obviously clean) for the last 15 mins of the boil too.

moobli

Post by moobli » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:55 pm

am i seeing right
an ipa kit with brew bags at £7.25
or am i just wishing

pee,d off with failed lager im going to brew ipa,s
and wine and tc

moobli

Post by moobli » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:52 am

right ive done it ive registered at hop and grape
and just bought the ipa with medium spraymalt
and a load of bungs and yeasts and airlocks
had to restrain my self
looking good nice choice and very easy to use and spend money on
delivery isnt too bad either

moobli

Post by moobli » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:13 pm

it arrived today
and i got straight to work
what a nice way of brewing, bit more work than a standard kit
but ohhh my god the smells wonderful
i got the light spray malt as i didnt want this first ipa to be too heavy
if all go's well with this then i may stray into the darker malts
with the cost of the kit and the added spray malt this will work out at about £1.04 per pint
cant complain at a better pint at half price with the added satisfaction that you have brewed it
and the chuffed feeling as people taste it and dont believe you made it
and you get the old "my homebrew was never this good"

RussDeBuss

Post by RussDeBuss » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:45 am

The way I look at it is the first batch including the cost of your kit may be a bit on the high side, but every batch after that the per pint costs are great.

I've only just into brewing and ama waiting for my first batch to age, should be ready for drinking when I get you back fom holiday. Then I'm doing a can of edme lager, possibly as 20 pints not 40 with lower sugar to make it a bit richer, thenI've got a wherry great eastern on order (would have had it now if the shop i ordered it from got their act togther).

I'm gonna see how these turn out, but i think i might try this kind of kit next, once i have got some more bottles or invested in a barrel or 2.

moobli

Post by moobli » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:46 pm

well never having tasted an ipa ive been to asda and bought 4 bottles for a £5 part of the offer of the green king ipa and i couldnt refuse a bottle of cornish tribute mmmmmm

so afterdinner tonight i will partake in a bottle or 3 if i like it
it should give me a rough idea of what mine should be aspiring to lol

Fynlish

Post by Fynlish » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Just put my first Brewer's Choice IPA into the FV. It's my third beer, following a Wherry and Muntons Gold two-can kits. The DME was a pain - lot's of clumping meant I had to stir for a good 10-15 minutes.

moobli

Post by moobli » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:59 pm

i must admit my dme clumped as well
after the reviews i had read i was expecting better
was i holding it too close to the steam

Jerry Cornelius

Post by Jerry Cornelius » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:01 pm

When pouring the DME I do it slowly, and try to keep it away from the steam. Just do it slowly, a little bit at a time.

All the stirring is good anyway, you need lots of aeration for the yeast to get a a good start.

moobli

Post by moobli » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:43 am

just had a look at the bottles today
seems to be quite a bit of sediment forming at the bottom of the bottles and it looks to be a lot lighter than the green king ipa that i tasted ,i must admit it was the first ipa i had bought and drunk and i enjoyed it
i did buy the lighter malts as i didnt want a heavy ipa for my first brew
looks like i got my wish
this has had 10 days in the warm and will have about 5-6 weeks in the cooler shed to finish it off

should be fantastic by the time i get home and drink it

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:52 am

I've just bottled the Brewers Choice IPA and a sample didn't taste that hoppy at all. Does the taste develop over time?

moobli

Post by moobli » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:15 pm

mine has spent 10 days in the warm and has now gone down to the shed for a month or more,had a sample and it hasnt finished developing at all
hopefully it will get a lot better with age

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:15 pm

I tried a bottle last night and I am very impressed. It's not as hoppy as I'd like but you can definitely taste the hops now.

I'm going to do this kit again but I think I'll boil some fuggles for 10 minutes and maybe use a US ale yeast as the mouthfeel is a bit creamy (not in a bad way, I'd just prefer it a bit crisper).

brassedoff

Post by brassedoff » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:01 pm

Typhoon Tyke wrote:Got this BC IPA in the firing line for next brew. Did my first BC (Dusseldorf Alt) a month ago and concur with everything that's been said about the being more fun than the standard kits. As good as some of the Brupacks Pride of Yorkshire kits have been, I think the BC kits will become my standard on the way (one day?) to AG (might be jumping the gun a bit as haven't tasted the matured D. Alt yet!)

Anybody made this Alt beer Kit? A quick taste on bottling revealled a residual flavour of the Brewferm Framboise from the FV, could be an interesting variation but a bit annoyed that it may mask the true flavour of the Alt beer.

This has been one of the most interesting and informative threads, and I've really enjoyed all the input - great work Chris in starting it off.
I've just set off a Brupaks lager kit but I get to travel to Dusseldorf fairly regularly and love altbier, so I'm seriously contemplating having a crack at the altbier next. The lager is my first dry kit (I'm a newbie to this homebrew lark) and I may have slipped up using sugar instead of LME... time will tell ;)

What did you use with the altbier kit? It's likely to be my Christmas brew, so I'd like to make sure I get it right! I'm going to pop down to my local stockist tomorrow (Brewmart in Sheffield) to see if they can get me an altbier kit.

EliteEvil

Post by EliteEvil » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:56 am

Bump.

Am interested in brewing one of these but a tin of LME costs £8.60 minimum on hop and grape and you can get an IPA kit for £9.50, anyone tried using a second IPA kit instead of sugar/unhopped malt?

Also might try dry hopping for the first time too. Would end up an expensive pint but my most adventurous experiment yet...