Wilko hoppy copper bitter

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
chub1

Wilko hoppy copper bitter

Post by chub1 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:28 pm

Got this underway today,made to 18 litres.
Steeped 150 gm of Crystal malt and 25 gm carahell for 30 mins in 5 litres of water, sparged with a further 3 litres.
drained and got the 8 litres onto the boil for 40 mins. Added 400 gm light spraymalt and 27 gm Challenger hops from the start and added a further 10 gm Challenger at 30 minutes.
Turned off heat, added 25 gm Styrian Goldings and plunged pot in sink of cold water.
Added hoppy Copper Bitter to FV with 25 gm golden syrup, drained the cooled wort onto this and added another 150 gm of spray malt,stirred well and made up to 18 litres.
Added supplied yeast at 26c.
House smells like a brewery :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Should come out around 3.7% or thereabouts :D

chub1

Re: Wilko hoppy copper bitter

Post by chub1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:31 pm

Day 11 fermenting. Tested today at 1.014 so needs a few more points off yet.
Smelt really nice, clear and a good hoppy taste. Dry hopped today with 10 grms styrian goldings, will leave for 5 days and re test. :D

chub1

Post by chub1 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:31 pm

Well being impatient i cracked one open today, early days i know.
Dissapointing. Bitterness and hop flavour seem to have diminished already. Nice colour and decent head, no real aroma and fairly bland but without the sometimes noticable kit twang.
Oh well guess it will be a light beer for the summer evenings.

chub1

Post by chub1 » Sat May 07, 2016 9:26 pm

Have had a few of these now and may have been a tad harsh with my comments. Actually not at all unpleasant and at only 3.30% it's an easy drink, certainly no kit twang to speak of.
Would actually do another of these but just hop it up a tad more.

Chug

Post by Chug » Sun May 08, 2016 8:01 pm

I guess its what you get from having cheeky early tasters, I'm guilty of the same thing, as I think many of us are, but then I like to taste the development of the brew from start to finish and it's great when something ok on first testing turns into nectar

chub1

Post by chub1 » Mon May 09, 2016 4:37 pm

Chug wrote:I guess its what you get from having cheeky early tasters, I'm guilty of the same thing, as I think many of us are, but then I like to taste the development of the brew from start to finish and it's great when something ok on first testing turns into nectar
Hiya mate
yup too impatient :roll: :D