low carb and low alcohol beer/ale

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
closer2god
Sober

low carb and low alcohol beer/ale

Post by closer2god » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:56 pm

Hi, I want to try making my own low carb beer/ale and im interested in buying a12l starter kit/bag but wanted to know if i wanted to make it low carb would 30ml of dry beer enzyme be the right thing, also would you advise against me attempting make half mixture low alcohol(around 0.5-0.9%) by heating it for 30 mins.

kind regvards
Danny

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: low carb and low alcohol beer/ale

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:35 pm

Low alcohol is possible but without sophisticated measuring equipment it’s hard to know if it’s worked properly, plus you need to ensure not to pick up any oxygen. If i were to brew low alcohol myself I’d try an over temperature mash first, 74c or so, your attenuation will be under 50% but still taste like a fermented beer. Start around 1.020 and you’ll have 1% or so. Failing that you can brew something around 2.5% and maybe add some soda water or lemonade in the glass? Just a few suggestions. I love a Radler with IPA and cloudy lemonade.

For low carb the idea is simply a low final gravity. Saison yeast will do it, Nottingham ale yeast finishes very dry too, or yeah you could use some enzyme. You could replace some grain with sugar too to drop the FG.