Lockdown Kit Tinkering - Geordie Yorkshire Bitter

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
IHN
Steady Drinker

Lockdown Kit Tinkering - Geordie Yorkshire Bitter

Post by IHN » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:06 am

The local hardware shop had some kits going cheap pre-lockdown, so I picked up a Geordie Yorkshire Bitter. Yesterday I had a play with it and some leftover stuff from previous brews:

300g Crystal Malt, steeped at 65degC for half an hour in 3l of water

Took malt sock out, chucked in 500g of leftover DME, 500g brewing sugar and 125g demerara sugar.

Boiled it all for 10 mins.

Chucked in 50g Cascade pellets at flameout, sieved out again when it went in the bucket, about 20mins later.

All in the bucket with the contents of the kit can

Topped up to 21l, added (rehydrated) yeast from kit.

OG1042, in the brew fridge at 20degC, airlock is bubbling nicely this morning, let’s see what happens.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Lockdown Kit Tinkering - Geordie Yorkshire Bitter

Post by Cobnut » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:15 am

Only 1042? What would it have been without the DME, brewing sugar and demerara? Dish water?
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

IHN
Steady Drinker

Post by IHN » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:52 am

1042's alright, suggests it'll come out about 4.5%(ish), assuming a decent fermentation.

wanus
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by wanus » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:48 pm

Sounds like a reasonable session beer to me but like you say you`ll need a decent fermentation.Good luck :beer:
FV 1:Empty
FV 2:Empty
Demi 1&2:Empty
Demi 3&4:Empty
Maturing: Bastard builders brew
Bottle conditioning: Bastard builders brew
Drinking:McEwan's
Planning:More 🍺

Keep yer pecker hard and yer powder dry.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:02 am

IHN wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:52 am
1042's alright, suggests it'll come out about 4.5%(ish), assuming a decent fermentation.
Maybe I misunderstood...does the kit require sugar adding? If so, then what you've added I guess is about the same as 1Kg of white sugar?
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

IHN
Steady Drinker

Post by IHN » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:25 am

Yeah, the kit needed 1kg of sugar, so I used the DME as I had it and the demerara cos, well, why not :-)

It' s held at about 19.5/20degC in the brewfridge, was bubbling through the airlock nicely yesterday, had dropped to 1.032 in the first 24hrs so a nice steady start. I'll probably leave it in there a couple of weeks.

wanus

Post by wanus » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:28 pm

Keep us in the know :wink:

IHN
Steady Drinker

Post by IHN » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:43 pm

Down to 1.022 today, so deffo off to a good start. Tastes alright too. I'll leave it alone for a few days.

Nitro Jim
Piss Artist

Post by Nitro Jim » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:01 pm

A few days? Do the 2 + 2 + 2 method, two weeks in the fermenter, two weeks warm conditioning and at least two weeks cold conditioning...
Beer is my drug of choice.
I don't need anger management classes, I need people to stop pissing me off.

No beer, no fun - know beer, know FUN!

Carrots may be good for your eyes but alcohol is better as it gives you double vision!

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:52 pm

Nitro Jim wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:01 pm
A few days? Do the 2 + 2 + 2 method, two weeks in the fermenter, two weeks warm conditioning and at least two weeks cold conditioning...
Where did you get that theory from?!

My beers are usually fermented out to a quarter of the OG in 3-4 days. Then cooled to drop the yeast out and kegged a couple of days later. With finings.

Ready to drink in about a week or so after brewing. Better if left for a week or so longer.

I wouldn't want to leave the beer in the FV for two weeks, or transfer it to another vessel for two weeks in the warm. Huge chance of off flavours developing.

Not trying to be confrontational here, just saying what I do.

Guy

wanus

Post by wanus » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:05 pm

I personaly go 2+1+6.

2 week in the fermenter.Theres no need to keep checking the gravity as the yeast will find the fermentables during this time at the right temperature and it reduces the risk of any infection.
1 week after kegging on my dining room table to prime then its at least 6 week in a cool dark place before :beer:

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:09 pm

wanus wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:05 pm
I personaly go 2+1+6.

2 week in the fermenter.Theres no need to keep checking the gravity as the yeast will find the fermentables during this time at the right temperature and it reduces the risk of any infection.
1 week after kegging on my dining room table to prime then its at least 6 week in a cool dark place before :beer:
No, no, and no!

Why would leaving the beer in the FV for two weeks reduce the possibility of infection? At fermentation temperature the yeast will have eaten 3/4 of the sugars after a few days. Sitting in the FV, unless it's completely airtight, increases the chance of nasties getting in.

And another week at room temperature with priming sugar in? Not necessary unless all the fermentables have been eaten by the yeast. Which, in truth, has probably happened with two weeks in the FV.

Six weeks before drinking? Again, why?

Try shortening all these time scales. Five days maximum in the FV. Keg, prime (if you really feel the need!) and cool. I'll bet you have really good drinkable ale in less than two weeks start to finish.

Fining may help to clear the beer more quickly, but that's for another thread.

Guy

wanus

Post by wanus » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:47 pm

Hiya Guy.I don`t leave the brew in the fermenter for 2 week to reduce the risk of infection.What i meant was, taking regular gravity readings will increase the risk of infections during fermentation.My main fermenter is airtight as far as i`m aware though and the regulations i use with the conditions i have its two week before i hit FG reading through my methods and experience.There must be some fermentables left when i prime though as i now always have a well charged beer with great head retention although a speedier fermentation would be appreciated.
I use chitosan finings and like yourself i used to give my beer the same maturation time as yourself but i find time tells.

Nitro Jim
Piss Artist

Post by Nitro Jim » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:47 pm

I never take gravity readings now. I only do kits, often add a hop tea after one week, transfer to a bottling vessel and bottle all my beers on day 14.
I then leave the bottles in the same place the fermenter stood for two weeks before moving to a colder storage area where they stand for often three months. I've never had a bad brew!
We are talking kits here...
Last edited by Nitro Jim on Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carrots may be good for your eyes but alcohol is better as it gives you double vision!

Nitro Jim
Piss Artist

Post by Nitro Jim » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:01 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:52 pm
Nitro Jim wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:01 pm
Where did you get that theory from?!

My beers are usually fermented out to a quarter of the OG in 3-4 days. Then cooled to drop the yeast out and kegged a couple of days later. With finings.

Ready to drink in about a week or so after brewing. Better if left for a week or so longer.

I wouldn't want to leave the beer in the FV for two weeks, or transfer it to another vessel for two weeks in the warm. Huge chance of off flavours developing.

Not trying to be confrontational here, just saying what I do.

Guy
See my post above, as they are kits there is no need to use finings.