Ginger

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
stumalin
Sober

Ginger

Post by stumalin » Sat May 16, 2020 11:39 am

Hi guys and girls

I'm new to the forum so sorry if this has already been discussed!

I'm looking at whacking some ginger into an IPA or SMaSH. I'm assuming that it's best to put it in the boil for the last 10 minutes or so. I've got ground ginger in, does anyone know if this will do the job or should I be looking at fresh? Also, has anyone got a rough idea on how much ginger per litre? I want it to be fairly obvious rather than a hint of ginger that you can taste when you know it's there but not overpowering either.

I haven't decided on a recipe yet but will look to keeping it relatively simple if anyone has any suggestions...

Cheers

k1100t
Piss Artist

Re: Ginger

Post by k1100t » Sat May 16, 2020 10:48 pm

I made the Ginger Saison* out of Sam Calagione's (of Dogfish Head fame) book - An Enthusiast's Guide to Homebrew Beers. It used 55g of crystallised ginger, which went in 1 minute before flame out. It was quite a few years ago, so I can't remember exactly how ginger it was. I think I cultivated some yeast dregs from Saison Dupont to ferment with, so the end beer was quite peppery and spicy anyway.

* DM me if you want the recipe...
I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Mon May 18, 2020 6:34 am

Using ground ginger will make the beer spicy, fresh ginger will just add the flavour.
Never enough time...

stumalin
Sober

Post by stumalin » Mon May 18, 2020 7:58 am

[quote="Bad 'Ed" post_id=850705 time=1589780049 user_id=13945]
Using ground ginger will make the beer spicy, fresh ginger will just add the flavour.
[/quote]

So maybe fresh in the boil for 10 and then ground ginger after a few days fermenting for a kick. I can always have a quiet l taste before adding the ground ginger.

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Mon May 18, 2020 1:52 pm

I made a ginger beer a while ago (just with sugar and juice for fermentables though) and I put 50g per litre of fresh ginger and just a tablespoon of ground in 12l.

That was slightly too little ginger for me, but I think would be just right if you used malt rather than sugar. I thought I wanted it spicy ginger, but next time I'd probably miss out the ground ginger.

Let me know how yours goes because an actual malt based ginger beer is on my list.
Never enough time...

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Mon May 18, 2020 1:54 pm

Also, I'd put the ginger powder in the boil if you want to put it in. I can't see the flavour being driven away in the boil, nor can I see it interfering in the fermentation.
Never enough time...

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Mon May 18, 2020 2:06 pm

Bad 'Ed wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:54 pm
Also, I'd put the ginger powder in the boil if you want to put it in. I can't see the flavour being driven away in the boil, nor can I see it interfering in the fermentation.
In case it helps, although I appreciate it is completely different, I have made batches of Mena Dhu like Stout which uses liquorice root powder. I guessed 1 g/L so added 25 g five minutes before the end of boil. It initially tasted quite strong during the fermentation, but has mellowed perfectly into a background hint. I know it is a different ground spice and almost certainly a different base beer, but that may give you somewhere to start from?

stumalin
Sober

Post by stumalin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:22 pm

Hi all

Just an update post while I have 5 minutes.

I've brewed some sort of ginger ale, it's only a week into conditioning so I anticipate another week although I did try one today and it was rather nice!

My recipe etc is below:
11 litre batch
Maris otter 3.5kg
Vienna 1kg (added this for colour and a malty flavour)

60 minute mash at 68°C

Galaxy hops - 17.5% AA (was planning to use lemondrop hops but struggled to get them. Galaxy isn't necessarily a straight swap but I had some in!)
6g at start of boil (not a fan of overly bitter beers so played it safe)
10g at turn off

I added 100g of grated fresh ginger 10 minutes before turn off. The smell given off the ginger was lovely!

I fermented and am conditioning at 21°C using US-05 yeast.

I added 1 teaspoon of ground ginger 24 hours before bottling and then another teaspoon 12 hours before bottling. As mentioned the ground ginger gives a fiery kick. I was cautious not to overdo it. You could tell the difference after the first but it was still subtle hence adding the second.

OG 1070 // FG 1012 // ABV 7.6%

On tasting it 1 week before being ready; the ginger aroma and taste are nice and obvious but not over powering. There is not much of a kick so would at least double the amount of ground ginger if brewing again. I was unsure whether the kick might develop over time, this might still happen? The galaxy hops compliment the ginger with a subtle peach flavour. I'd probably lower the vienna malt as the maltiness is on the verge of overpowering the ginger flavour.

I'll try to remember to post any updates!