The 25L Co2 Injected JerryKeg is Born! Cheap too!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: The 25L Co2 Injected JerryKeg is Born! Cheap too!

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:30 am

mChavez wrote:Hi Floyd,

I've tried building a jerry keg following your design (only using a 5L jerry), however, the taps keep leaking (the seal is not water tight).
I used the same taps as you in your first post and I've tried putting the washer on the inside & outside - neither method seems to work.

Any suggestions why the keg is leaking & how to fix it?

Thanks!
Hey mChavez,

Surprised to hear that. I've made 3 and there's been no probs. I do make as small a hole as possible for the tap. I have to kinda screw it into place then fit the rubber washer and nut. Maybe that's it?

mChavez

Post by mChavez » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:20 pm

I've tried doing it in a few ways and all leak:
1) Make a small hole, screw in the tap while screwing it into a washer and the nut from the inside.
2) Same with the washer outside.
3) make a bigger hole, push the tap in, screw the nut onto it.

Quite a few times I had the washer deforming and twisting out from under the washer/tap =(

Are there any alternative taps out there?

Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi does anyone know what the maximum pressure these jerry-can holds? It's just that I'm flirting with the idea of making a poor mans corny (if you could call it that) and would love to try and drill and attach one of these http://www.amazon.com/Soda-Carbonater-B ... B003V5EY44 onto it. I'm on a mission to try and standardise all my equipment as I love quick disconnects :D

tomtyneside

Post by tomtyneside » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:41 pm

hi all does anyone know how i can connect the new sodastream co2 cylinder to my corny keg,i have a widget world control trigger at moment,but the new sodastream cylinders have a different coarser thread so won,t screw in.

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Hi does anyone know what the maximum pressure these jerry-can holds? It's just that I'm flirting with the idea of making a poor mans corny (if you could call it that) and would love to try and drill and attach one of these http://www.amazon.com/Soda-Carbonater-B ... B003V5EY44 onto it. I'm on a mission to try and standardise all my equipment as I love quick disconnects :D
I'd say 6PSI comfortably.

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:05 am

Hi Floyd

Looking at possibly using this set up for long term storage of Cider for about 6-9 months.

Like the idea that they don't take up much space (which is at a premium) and can be gassed using valve.

Only issue I'm concerned about is how permeable they are to oxygen.
How thick is the plastic? Thinner than a plastic keg?

I have similar valves on some budget 5gal plastic kegs and a CO2 tyre-inflator to top up gas, so I'd just need jerry can, tap & a valve.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:14 pm

JMC, I'm very interested in the Co2 valve connector your using, I have Schrader valves on a 10 litre keg and a couple of IBrew bottles.

Does your connector seal with out leakage? What type is it and were did you get it?

Many Thanks. Aamcle

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:17 pm

jmc wrote:Hi Floyd

Looking at possibly using this set up for long term storage of Cider for about 6-9 months.

Like the idea that they don't take up much space (which is at a premium) and can be gassed using valve.

I have similar valves on some budget 5gal plastic kegs and a CO2 tyre-inflator to top up gas, so I'd just need jerry can, tap & a valve.
Hey man,

I'm not sure to be honest! I usually have the beer finished within 8 weeks tops. Beer stays in perfect condition throughout that time.

jmc

Post by jmc » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:15 am

aamcle wrote:JMC, I'm very interested in the Co2 valve connector your using, I have Schrader valves on a 10 litre keg and a couple of IBrew bottles.

Does your connector seal with out leakage? What type is it and were did you get it?

Many Thanks. Aamcle
The link in my last post has more info about the tyre inflator. Its solid and works well to top up but it has to be held on like you do when you fill car tyres.

I currently use on a couple on minikegs and a few plastic barrels plus some Pet bottles for taking beer to friends.

Also good to purge pb of air before filling.

jmc

Post by jmc » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:19 am

floydmeddler wrote:
jmc wrote:Hi Floyd

Hey man,

I'm not sure to be honest! I usually have the beer finished within 8 weeks tops. Beer stays in perfect condition throughout that time.
Hi Floyd

Sounds like they're great for a few months but unknown after that.

I've just got a couple of glass 5gal carboys off eBay which hopefully will do the trick. Cheers John.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:49 am

Would the 30ltr plastic poly kegs provide a suitable cheaper alternative to these?
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

jmc

Post by jmc » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:39 pm

barneey wrote:Would the 30ltr plastic poly kegs provide a suitable cheaper alternative to these?
You can get plastic Jerry Can type containers very cheap and they don't take up much space at all, which is at a premium for me.
eg from eBay
1x New 25 Litre Plastic Water Containers - £4.89 + £2.99 del

barneey

Post by barneey » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:45 pm

I just wondered as the polykegs are being sold at £9.20 inclusive of postage - so only £1.35 extra + come with all the bits (valves build in) just thought it might make a viable alternative for someone as a cheap source of kegs.

jmc

Post by jmc » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

barneey wrote:I just wondered as the polykegs are being sold at £9.20 inclusive of postage - so only £1.35 extra + come with all the bits (valves build in) just thought it might make a viable alternative for someone as a cheap source of kegs.
Sorry barneey, I was being dense. :oops:
I thought you were referring to budget plastic pressure barrels rather than Polykegs from post below

PolyKegs 150 Number

They are a bargain, but would need a (Sankey?) keg coupler and probably a gas supply?

barneey

Post by barneey » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:38 pm

They are traditional kegs so as such would need a sankey coupler, as for a gas supply yes BUT anyone thought about priming in one of these - treating it as a very large bottle? They can take a max of 3.5 BAR. Don't even know if anyone has every tried coupling a soda gas cylinder to a sankey?

Just a thought as an alternative item, just encase someone hadn't seen "asd" thread