A couple of questions regarding HLT & Mashtun ?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
DC
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

A couple of questions regarding HLT & Mashtun ?

Post by DC » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi all, I am looking to build my own brewery in my garage and make a few AG beers. I have been reading some of the posts on the forum and I have a few questions regarding HLT's & Mashtuns.

I am looking to make an HLT & a Mashtun, I currently have a Thorn Electrim Boiler with one element & temp control. Which I have used to boil my previous AG brews. But it took ages to heat the water up for the mash which I did in the boiler (with grain in a straining bag).

I am looking to make an HLT, am I correct in thinking that you use the HLT to just boil the water and then transfer it too the mashtun. Then mash and then heat sparge water in the HLT and then sparge the grain with the 2nd lot of water from the HLT. Then boil the wort in a boiler/kettle.

Just wanting to get the step by step bit correct before I start building.

Can anyone suggest the best CPVC pipe to use to make the strainer for my mashtun and where too buy from. I have seen the plastic cpvc pipe used and also the stainless steel flexible braid used also.

Looking at a 28ltr Thermos cool box on Ebay that I could use as a mashtun. Would just need to drill a hole for the tap and fit a strainer. Would a 28ltr cooler be big enough for 5 gallon batches?

Whats the best type/shape kettle element to buy for making a HLT (the bit on the outside of the bucket).

Any help greatly received

Cheers DC :wink:

adm

Post by adm » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:00 pm

You can use copper pipe for the mashtun strainer. A length of 15mm pipe, a few elbows, a few tees and a compression fitting, plus a hacksaw and you are ready to go!

See here:

As for the 28l Thermos box, I have one myself and it's great for 5G batches of normal beers......when I say normal, I mean less than 8% or so. I brewed an Imperial stout last week with a 9.5Kg grain bill and that only just fit in the mash tun! anything less than that and you're in clover!

[/img]

DC

Post by DC » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:23 pm

Hi ADM, Thanks for that mate :wink: is your strainer all one piece eg (fixed/solderded) together or is it just pushed together so you can you take it apart to clean it ?

Another question, whats the best way to drill the hole in the 28lt Thermos cool box for fitting the tap?

Whats the best sort of tap too use for the mashtun ?

Is the cool box double skinned ? Just I dont want to buy one and then make a pigs ear of it when converting into a mashtun

Cheers DC :wink:

adm

Post by adm » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:35 pm

DC,

The mash tun strainer is just push fit - no solder or anything. It holds together solidly, but can be pulled apart for cleaning if required.

The coolbox is double walled, with a layer of polystyrene in between.

As for the tap, hole and drilling thereof....I actually bought the tun premade from hop&grape, so I can't really help you much. All I can tell you is it's a black plastic tap (I know, really helpful) and the hole in the inner wall of the tun is smaller than the hole drilled through the outer wall and insulation. i.e. the tap itself is fixed to the inside wall of the mash tun.

Hope that's at least a bit helpful....

DC

Post by DC » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:47 pm

Hi adm, Thats champion mate thanks for that ! I think I saw one of those mashtuns on the net last night. I might go with a spare tap I have from a fermanter/pressure barrel to cut down on the cost.

Seen a 28lt coolbox on Ebay hoping to get it cheap. :wink:

Cheers DC

ChrisG

Post by ChrisG » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi,

I had seen a post somewhere about cleaning the copper. Cant find the post now, but sure it was using vinegar?

Is this correct?

tubby_shaw

Post by tubby_shaw » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:44 pm

ChrisG wrote:Hi,

I had seen a post somewhere about cleaning the copper. Cant find the post now, but sure it was using vinegar?

Is this correct?
You could use any mild acid you fancy to get your copper bright.
But there isn't much point.
So long as its clean it doesn't need to be shiny.
In fact the oxide layer on the copper will prolong the life of your strainer :)

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:47 pm

You can use vinegar, or citric acid. Both are cheap and relatively easy to get hold of. I find its easiest to put everything in a vessel that will hold all your copper bits and make a strong solution therein.

I have a jug from Lidl with a column in the middle to hold ice. I put a good slug of acid in both parts, put my IC and disassembled strainers in there, and top off with hot tap water. Leave that for 20 mins and your coppers will be nice and clean.

ChrisG

Post by ChrisG » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:32 am

Thanks for the info. ;)