8 coil immersion cooler (yes 8 coils :D )

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
beermonsta

8 coil immersion cooler (yes 8 coils :D )

Post by beermonsta » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:51 pm

And here she is...

and here is how I built her...
starting in the foreground the 25m coil of 8mm copper (microbore) pipe. Trying to divide the pipe into eight pieces was tricky to do, but once marked out it was cut using the pipe slicer you can just about see.
Going back slightly you can see one cut length.
Behind that the pipe has been tightened around my 3-gal cornie.
Even futher back you can see the pipe has been tightened even more around the small CO2 cylinder, before finally having the in and out bent at 90 degrees upwards using a pipe bending tool (bought on offer from BnQ just for the job!)

The first four coils made (lower section) - just four more to make for the upper section :D

Again the 4 lower coils and the 4 upper coils mid process of being made.

Both upper and lower coils (all 8 made).

and a rough approximation of how they will stack on top of each other. The maximum diameter is designed to fit in my 75 or 100 litre steel pot.

Here I am making the fig-8 copper connectors that will hold various pieces together. They are made out of 22mm pipe sliced into thin tubes, then hammered into shape around two drill bits.

cleaning the fig-8 connectors using distilled vinegar that has been boiled.

The result are shiney copper connectors :)

So here I got bored of taking photos but the last bit was the most laborious and tedious. This involved threading lots of stainless steel washers onto each of the coils to space them apart to improve thermal conductance (surface area). I also soldered on the two, 4 x 8mm to 1 x 22mm brass manifolds, and the rest of the 22mm copper pipe work and then service valves connected to hoze lock fittings to make connection a breeze to the hozepipe.
I was really chuffed when doing a test leak as at full pressure there was no leaks - thank god!
Finally the coils where held together with twists of copper wire taken from twin and earth wiring stripped of its insulation.

The result is an 8 coil immersion cooler.

My thinking behind my design is that previously I did a twin concentric design which was pretty efficient....

When I though about the design I realised that as the cool water travels around the coil eventually it will reach the same temperature as the wort. Now with thin copper pipe I reckon this happens within a meter, so the other X meters of pipe (probably between 4 to 9 for most people) no heat exchance is taking place. So with my design the water is split 8 ways. The wort is still in contact with 25 meters distance of pipe, but the cold water flows only around 3 meter individual coils.

The result is looking good so far. For 70 litres of boiling wort it took 1 hour to drop to 22'C pitching temperature.

Ben

Naich
Under the Table

Re: 8 coil immersion cooler (yes 8 coils :D )

Post by Naich » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:48 pm

Wow. That's raised the bar somewhat :) Did you measure or calculate the distance the water travels before it reaches equilibrium with the wort, or is the 1m you mention an estimate?

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Nice! Well better than nice! Awesome! Well done!

adm

Post by adm » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:48 pm

Amazing....that's a monster and no mistake!

beermonsta

Post by beermonsta » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:16 pm

Naich wrote:Wow. That's raised the bar somewhat :) Did you measure or calculate the distance the water travels before it reaches equilibrium with the wort, or is the 1m you mention an estimate?
no just an estimate - in fact as the wort cools I bet that distance will increase. Thing is with my design it doesn't matter either way, but I reckon it's quicker than my last twin concentric design, especially at the initial stages of cooling.
Thanks for the compliment gents :D It was build this or buy a counter flow plate chiller, but on balance I think this outweighs the negatives of using a CFPC. Don't get me wrong - if I had a bigger brewery (over say 200l) then I probably would use a CFPC but I would only want a gasketed one for sanitation purposes.

oxford brewer
Under the Table

Post by oxford brewer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:07 pm

Looks like some piece of equipment from a task in a Saw movie :lol: ......I want to chill some wort....make a choice... cool or die!!
Only the fool, in the abundance of water is thirsty!!
The Right Honourable Robert Nesta Marley

Drinking

Fermenting

Conditioning

Naich
Under the Table

Post by Naich » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:40 pm

beermonsta wrote:
Naich wrote:Wow. That's raised the bar somewhat :) Did you measure or calculate the distance the water travels before it reaches equilibrium with the wort, or is the 1m you mention an estimate?
no just an estimate - in fact as the wort cools I bet that distance will increase. Thing is with my design it doesn't matter either way, but I reckon it's quicker than my last twin concentric design, especially at the initial stages of cooling.
Yeah. You design has that pretty much covered :) The distance will also depend on the flow rate, of course. It's got to be best to blast it through at first and slow down as the temperature differential lessens.

beermonsta

Post by beermonsta » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:48 pm

yes, she get the full mains pressure at first - the heated water ends up in the HLT - it fills it in a matter of minutes! - but I keep checking the out pipe of the cooler and if it feels cool I slowly back the tap off to reduce flow rate until I detect a slight rise in temperature again, and then repeat.

Oxford Brewer..."cool or die" how about "die looking cool" :lol:

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 pm

I had the great idea the other day whilst cooling some wort of having a some kind of powered stirring attchment on the cooler, maybe one day I should make it more than just an idea!
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

FlippinMental
Hollow Legs

Post by FlippinMental » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:14 pm

That is the sickest, coolest cooler every. respect 8)

fm

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:26 pm

wow!!!!!!

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:17 am

I take my (woolly) hat off to you, that's an impressive bit of kit!
Dan!

boingy

Post by boingy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:36 am

Nice one.
Any advance on 8?
Anyone ambitious enough to go for a full-on V12 cooler?

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:51 am

beermonsta wrote:yes, she get the full mains pressure at first - the heated water ends up in the HLT - it fills it in a matter of minutes! - but I keep checking the out pipe of the cooler and if it feels cool I slowly back the tap off to reduce flow rate until I detect a slight rise in temperature again, and then repeat.

Oxford Brewer..."cool or die" how about "die looking cool" :lol:
If you are on a water meter or you are an eco warrior, that is great for saving water, otherwise leave it on full pressure. Remember the object of the game is to cool the wort not to heat the water in the coil. Stirring the wort will be a great aid to cooling :wink:

Nice bit of kit. Well done on the time and effort =D>
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife