HLT as boiler

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
fordpopular
Piss Artist

HLT as boiler

Post by fordpopular » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:09 pm

I am busy planning an all grain system but trying to keep the cost down, I have a 50 titre pot as an hlt not sure if im going gas or electric yet
my question is what is the main advantage of having a seperate HLT and boiler or can I just return the wort to the hlt and use it for the boil
obviously I would need to collect the wort in a seperate vessle and empty the HLT before putting in the wort

Horatio
Under the Table

Re: HLT as boiler

Post by Horatio » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:58 pm

You don't need a boiler and an HLT. Having both just saves time as you can sparge straight into the boiler and get the heat on sooner. As you say just collect the wort into another vessel until you have finished with the HLT then tip it all in and use it as the boiler. You can always add a second vessel later and then have both HLT and boiler. Good luck. :D
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:17 pm

Horatio wrote:You don't need a boiler and an HLT. Having both just saves time as you can sparge straight into the boiler and get the heat on sooner. As you say just collect the wort into another vessel until you have finished with the HLT then tip it all in and use it as the boiler. You can always add a second vessel later and then have both HLT and boiler. Good luck. :D
+1
I did first few AG brews with single HLT/Boiler. No probs really just takes a bit longer

fordpopular
Piss Artist

Post by fordpopular » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:35 pm

Thanks guys thought it would be fine and as you say can always upgrade later

Cheers
Paul.

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:26 pm

Been there, done that :)

BeerEagle

HLT as boiler

Post by BeerEagle » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Spud395 wrote:Been there, done that :)
Me too.

prolix

Post by prolix » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:49 pm

I have used a two vessel system, a boiler/htl and a mash tun and do a full volume sparge and mashout, you have to use two pumps for this though.
At the end you pump from the boiler to sparge and pump from the mash tun to the boiler, recirc until both gravities are the same then fill the boiler.

pros never over sparge as gravity is never lower than 1.030
------saves room
------some say produces better quality beer
------saves cash on extra vessel

cons grain bill needs upping a bit as less efficent (not by much)
------people look at you wierdly

here they are, just filling the mash tun before adding the grist, you can just see one of the pumps far right, solar pump with camlock fittings

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:16 pm

Prolix, I'm looking at you weirdly... :?
Also, if you use a 2 level system, then gravity would take the place of one of those solar pumps.