TOTTON PUMP GP 20/12- with voltage speed control

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
ajh800

TOTTON PUMP GP 20/12- with voltage speed control

Post by ajh800 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:25 am

Folks,

Just ordered a pump from Norms. To save time I'm trying to get the bits and pieces together so that when it arrives I will be able to crack on and get it sorted for brewing next week.

The pump will be used to recirculate the wort from the mash tun (cool box) until crystal clear wort is flowing.

In Norms e-bay advert it says the pump comes supplied with 15 MM JOHN GUEST FITTINGS, see e-bay item Item number: 220567309980

Basically I'm asking whats the best hose/pipe to use, method of coupling to pump, any requirement for a tap - if so what type, etc,etc

Thanks al
Last edited by ajh800 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Scooby

Re: TOTTON PUMP GP 20/12- list of ancillary parts req'd

Post by Scooby » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:32 pm

There a number of ways to do it, this one example. Oxford Brewer is the owner now but I'm sure he won't mind me posting the pic
2 equal elbows PM0315E onto the pump inlet and outlet 15mm pipe out of them and a 1/2" ball valve on the outlet.
What tubing and how you connect it is up to you, silicon is pictured but the 15mm pipe gives you loads of options.

ajh800

Post by ajh800 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:47 pm

Thank you Scooby (& Oxford Brewer), will have a look in local B&Q tonight.

Just been searching a few posts regarding suitable hose etc. It opened a can of worms, once again I'll have a search tonight and hopefully find some reinforced pvc that is suitable.

thanks

al

oxford brewer
Under the Table

Post by oxford brewer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:49 pm

Dont thank me,I only purchased it from Scooby :D :D
Only the fool, in the abundance of water is thirsty!!
The Right Honourable Robert Nesta Marley

Drinking

Fermenting

Conditioning

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:44 am

If you've got a Homebase near you they do their own sort of JG fittings. The advantage is that their 15mm straight connectors are shorter than JG so not so much weight put on the pump or tap. I've gone with silicon hosing I found at work and it all seems great at the mo!

Chard

Post by Chard » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:58 am

Where did you get that brass hozelock looking attachment. I'm looking for something to put on the end of my immersion cooler so I can attach the garden hose. Would this fit a hozelock fitting?

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:04 am

Yes they're brass hozelock fittings widely available but Chris knows the cheapest place to get them, I'm afraid it's gone straight through my sieve :lol:

ajh800

Post by ajh800 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:25 am

I've ordered some from http://www.Easywatering.co.uk - not sure if they're the cheapest, they also do ball valves etc.
Last edited by ajh800 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ajh800

Re: TOTTON PUMP GP 20/12- fitted with speed/flow control

Post by ajh800 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:29 pm

Sorted the pump out now and it will be used tomorrow night to re-circulate the wort to get nice clear runnings.

Fitted a 450w light dimmer switch to give On/Off and flow rate control. Just tested with water and works fine.

Thanks everyone who gave advice to nice cheap places for sourcing various bits & pieces.

Wilko sell the dimmer switches for about £4.50, as you'd expect they cost about £14 in B & Q etc

crookedeyeboy

Re: TOTTON PUMP GP 20/12- with voltage speed control

Post by crookedeyeboy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:47 pm

Like it, very nice. Might do this to mine one day. How are you recirculating?

haz66

Re: TOTTON PUMP GP 20/12- fitted with speed/flow control

Post by haz66 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:08 pm

ajh800 wrote:Sorted the pump out now and it will be used tomorrow night to re-circulate the wort to get nice clear runnings.

Fitted a 450w light dimmer switch to give On/Off and flow rate control. Just tested with water and works fine.

Thanks everyone who gave advice to nice cheap places for sourcing various bits & pieces.

Wilko sell the dimmer switches for about £4.50, as you'd expect they cost about £14 in B & Q etc
Nice idea, i think i will copy the dimmer switch idea myself, easier than adjusting the flow via taps =D>

ajh800

Post by ajh800 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:22 pm

crookedeyeboy wrote:Like it, very nice. Might do this to mine one day. How are you recirculating?

Not sure yet...... Think i'll mash as normal, used to batch sparge so topped mash up with 8ltr of water then did the pouring into a beaker and back into mash tun until clearish. Brewing tomorrow so planning on doing the same, then recirculating until clear. Have drilled a 8" bit of 15mm copper pipe with small holes on half of the circumference, along the length of pipe. Intend to recirculate pumped wort into the drilled copper to creat a gentle shower back into mash tun, until clear. Then,,,, will connect HLT to said drilled piece of copper and use as a non rotating sparge arm. Dont worry, next project will be Chinook rotor blade sparge arms like yours - it looks really good.

Doing the Nelson Sauvin single hop brew tomorrow, 4.4kg maris otta grain all weighed, kitchen set up, 110gms of hops ready.....

Next weeks brew will be Chinook single hop brew. Did you post your sparge arm project?

al

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:37 pm

No not really. I think the pictures and video did the job! So would I be right in thinking there would he enough pressure in the mt to just open the tap and run back up into the mash or are you using the pump all the time? I'd like to do this also but haven't got it all figured out yet. In the end the chinook blades were gravity fed and it did the job. I've got horrible feeling my efficiency went down though as I couldn't fit all the runnings into the boiler!

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:38 pm

No not really. I think the pictures and video did the job! So would I be right in thinking there would he enough pressure in the mt to just open the tap and run back up into the mash or are you using the pump all the time? I'd like to do this also but haven't got it all figured out yet. In the end the chinook blades were gravity fed and it did the job. I've got horrible feeling my efficiency went down though as I couldn't fit all the runnings into the boiler!