Sharing taps between cornys

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
T5FAU

Sharing taps between cornys

Post by T5FAU » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi all.

My first corny is getting lonely, and deserves a friend (they are starting to multiple after only a couple of weeks, doh)

Is there are particular problems with sharing 1 tap between 2 kegs, and just swapping it over ? I guess most of the time ill be emptying one keg whilst the other is maturaing, so not a lot of swapping. Is it best to swap the disconnect between kegs or unattach the line ?

Cheers

Halite

Re: Sharing taps between cornys

Post by Halite » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:19 pm

no problem in using one tap, however probably best to disconnect at the tap and swap over, as opposed to just switching the QD's. If you just switched the QD's then eveytime you pulled a pint after switching the first 100mls or so would be what was left in the beer line from the other keg (this is assuming that you would have two kegs serving at the one time).

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:25 pm

I do this when "checking" the beer!
You might want to keep a spray bottle of no-rinse solution Star San or similar handy for a quick squirt on both corny posts and disconnects.

DO NOT just remove the line - it will pee all over the place!! :shock: :lol:

The valve in the disconnect prevents this.
And how did I find out first time??......................

T5FAU

Post by T5FAU » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:39 pm

So what happens to the beer in the line, suck it out ? Then have different lines attached to each disconnect and plug into back of tap... Maybe i shouldnt be cheap and just get another tap.

I too discovered the "Dont just remove the line" issue. eheh

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:51 pm

I just have my tap connected to my black disconnect and swap them over if I fancy beer from a different keg. Disconnecting anything whilst leaving the black disconnect on the 'out' post will get you wet!

A little bit of beer from a previous keg doesn't bother me so one tap does me.

T5FAU

Post by T5FAU » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:04 pm

yea a little bit from the other keg doesnt bother me either, cant see any wasted !

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:19 pm

I had this dilema last night too, and had to tap swap, but couldnt possibly face wasting 100ml of precious ale, so ended up with a hybrid glass of pale ale and porter. oh well! :roll:

oxford brewer
Under the Table

Post by oxford brewer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:48 pm

When you pour the first glass from the corni, it will contain sediment, so the small amount of beer left in the line gets chucked out with the sediment.
Only the fool, in the abundance of water is thirsty!!
The Right Honourable Robert Nesta Marley

Drinking

Fermenting

Conditioning

shandypants5

Post by shandypants5 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:32 pm

chris_reboot wrote:I had this dilema last night too, and had to tap swap, but couldnt possibly face wasting 100ml of precious ale, so ended up with a hybrid glass of pale ale and porter. oh well! :roll:
That exactly how I dicovered that Coopers Mexican tastes great with a large dash of Ditches stout in it. :D

Sometimes i even do it on purpose now. (although I no longer own any cornies so its done from bottles now)