PID Controller Enclosure Questions

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
k1100t
Piss Artist

PID Controller Enclosure Questions

Post by k1100t » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:46 pm

Hello, I'm in the middle of gathering bits to build a PID controller for my HLT; which uses one of Mr Lard's 3KW elements. I've pretty much got everything, except for the terminal connectors, as I bought the wrong WAGO ones (two, instead of three). Searching for old posts to see how others have built theirs, leads me to a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to put a fuse on the 240V input to my enclosure? I wasn't planning on it, now I'm paranoid that I need one, but have no idea what type to get; normal 13A, some sort of fast blow, or which bit to put it on; input to the enclosure, between the PID and SSR, or between the SSR and the element.

2. I bought some 240V 15A DPDT switches to kill the element, but keep the PID live to use as a temperature sensor, but am now confused about where to put them. I've read that the SSR's can leak, so do I put the switch before or after it?

Thanks,

Bob.
Last edited by k1100t on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Re: PID Controller Enclosure Questions

Post by themadhippy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:51 pm

1. Do I need to put a fuse on the 240V input to my enclosure?
if your powering it via a 13A plug then no
2-after the ssr
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:20 am

themadhippy wrote:1. Do I need to put a fuse on the 240V input to my enclosure?
if your powering it via a 13A plug then no
Yes, the controller box will have a 13A fused plug on it. I'm assuming that's enough for the PID and element.
themadhippy wrote:2-after the ssr
Good, I bought the right switches then...

Thanks!

Bob.

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:32 am

One more question, if I may. I bought one of these as the enclosure -> http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/instrument-cases/7733261/ It has aluminium front and back plates. So...

Do I mount the heat sink of the SSR directly to the back plate, or do I sandwich the back plate between the SSR and the heatsink...?

Thanks,

Bob.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:18 pm

If you can I would sandwich the backplate between the SSR with the heatsink on the outside of the box. That will aid circulation around the heatsink. Don't forget to also ensure you have air holes in the cabinet. Regarding the switch point, I would put the switch BEFORE the SSR. When SSR's fail they generally fail to live. Having the switch before the SSR will isolate the SSR completely and cut the main power to the load (element). Putting AFTER the SSR, you will isolate the load, but the SSR will still be live.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:43 pm

OR if you make a couple of diy tabs I have used tin snipped sections of flattened out 15mm copper tube.
you can secure said tabs under the screwheads of the screws securing the heatsink to the ssr.

said tabs can then be screwed, bolted, wedged, or simply epoxied to the abs case allowing you to push the heatsink outside the box. a dab of heatsink compound is also useful to fill the tiny gaps between ssr and heatsink.

using a 3kw element you can expect significant heat to be generated, i recorded well over 60C on the 3rd vane down of a SSR/heatsink powering 3kw(2 x 1.5kw) of elements (25a ssr)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:41 am

bobsbeer wrote:If you can I would sandwich the backplate between the SSR with the heatsink on the outside of the box. That will aid circulation around the heatsink. Don't forget to also ensure you have air holes in the cabinet.
Do I still need holes if the heatsink is on the outside...? Would mean the box looses whatever splash/water proof nature it has, no?
bobsbeer wrote:Regarding the switch point, I would put the switch BEFORE the SSR. When SSR's fail they generally fail to live. Having the switch before the SSR will isolate the SSR completely and cut the main power to the load (element). Putting AFTER the SSR, you will isolate the load, but the SSR will still be live.
As they're DPDT switches, then both wires from the PID through the switch to the SSR? I thought that as they leak current, then having at least the neutral from the element on the switch would be preferable?

Thanks,

Bob.

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:42 am

Fil wrote:using a 3kw element you can expect significant heat to be generated, i recorded well over 60C on the 3rd vane down of a SSR/heatsink powering 3kw(2 x 1.5kw) of elements (25a ssr)
Looks like we have the same heatsink and it means things are easier inside, if it's on the outside.

Cheers,

Bob.
Last edited by k1100t on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:13 am

Only the live cable goes to the SSR. The neutral cable goes from your element and back to the mains. Your isolation switch is only breaking the live cable and not the neutral, so you don't need the neutral wire connected, even if you have connections on the switch. There is no need to break the neutral wire.

Wiring sketch:
ssr.JPG

themadhippy

Post by themadhippy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Your isolation switch is only breaking the live cable and not the neutral, so you don't need the neutral wire connected, even if you have connections on the switch
if the switch is for isolation purposes then it should break ALL current carrying conductors,and in the latest big book of electrical rules the neutral is classed as a current carrying conductor.
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:54 pm

themadhippy wrote:
Your isolation switch is only breaking the live cable and not the neutral, so you don't need the neutral wire connected, even if you have connections on the switch
if the switch is for isolation purposes then it should break ALL current carrying conductors,and in the latest big book of electrical rules the neutral is classed as a current carrying conductor.

You beat me to it :mrgreen:

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:20 pm

themadhippy wrote:
So given this naive, and quite possible wrong, diagram. Where do I put the switch...? My natural inclination is a...

Thanks,

Bob.

themadhippy

Post by themadhippy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:47 am

yes A,make sure its the live(not + ) that goes through the ssr.If you put the switch at b youll be switching the low voltage and the circuit could still be live on the output

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:53 am

themadhippy wrote:yes A,make sure its the live(not + ) that goes through the ssr.If you put the switch at b youll be switching the low voltage and the circuit could still be live on the output
Just to be clear, in 13A plug parlance, it's the brown wire in the plug through the SSR...?

Thanks,

Bob.

themadhippy

Post by themadhippy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:47 am

yep brown is live