What fridges are we using?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
spook100
Piss Artist

Re: What fridges are we using?

Post by spook100 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:40 pm

I use a 3/4 height larder fridge for the fermentasaurus. It did fit in with the original stand but I wasn't happy with it because it was quite unstable and there also wasn't enough head room to fit a spunding valve. In the end I built a shelf for it in the fridge and it works perfectly now.

When no in the fridge I slide the entire shelf out and place it directly on top of the stand.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

Croispol
Sober

Post by Croispol » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:54 pm

[quote=Digby post_id=834312 time=1529603733 user_id=13688]
Hi,

I have a Hotpoint RLA36 as mentioned above. Fits 2 cornie or 20l Sankey kegs easily. I believe the RLA34 is the same size. Bought mine nearly new on EBay for about £40.

I will replace my other fridges with the same model when they eventually die!

Matt

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Hi Digby. That's very useful advice. Does this apply to slimmer/taller Corny keg that needs around 26" height including diconnects? Thanks!

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:06 pm

Croispol wrote:
Digby wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:55 pm
Hi,

I have a Hotpoint RLA36 as mentioned above. Fits 2 cornie or 20l Sankey kegs easily. I believe the RLA34 is the same size. Bought mine nearly new on EBay for about £40.

I will replace my other fridges with the same model when they eventually die!

Matt

Hi Digby. That's very useful advice. Does this apply to slimmer/taller Corny keg that needs around 26" height including diconnects? Thanks!
I just measured mine. Doorway around 27" high, main chamber around 28" high. Should be fine. Image

Matt aka Digby

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:21 am

Here's a tall (633mm) corny keg in my fridge. Loads of room - the disconnects only add a couple of cm above the corny handles.

This is a fairly old under counter fridge where the height in front of the hump is 72cm. Another under counter fridge I have is 70cm.

Only issue with under counter fridges is that it's usually difficult to fit in 2 kegs, sometimes you need to remove the thermostat - in the fridge above it's too narrow. Interesting to know that you can fit two in the Hotpoint.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:25 am

Jocky wrote:Here's a tall (633mm) corny keg in my fridge. Loads of room - the disconnects only add a couple of cm above the corny handles.

This is a fairly old under counter fridge where the height in front of the hump is 72cm. Another under counter fridge I have is 70cm.

Only issue with under counter fridges is that it's usually difficult to fit in 2 kegs, sometimes you need to remove the thermostat - in the fridge above it's too narrow. Interesting to know that you can fit two in the Hotpoint.
Yes, with the Hotpoint you can fit 2 kegs and there is still space for a few bottles too. Internal width is great as it is a full 60cm fridge rather than 50 or 55 like a lot, and the hump is not full width either. Image

Croispol
Sober

Post by Croispol » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:28 am

Thanks, Matt. Now looking for a decent second-hand one!

Graeme aka Croispol

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:01 pm

Maybe I'm being over-indulgent, but I have 3 fridges in my brew/beer shed:

2 larder fridges, one configured as a fermentation chamber for my fermentasaurus (great fit) and one as a beer fridge/hop store
1 under-counter fridge which house 2 x 19L cornies and 1 x 10.5L corny (gas bottle is outside the fridge).
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:47 pm

Cobnut wrote:Maybe I'm being over-indulgent, but I have 3 fridges in my brew/beer shed:

2 larder fridges, one configured as a fermentation chamber for my fermentasaurus (great fit) and one as a beer fridge/hop store
1 under-counter fridge which house 2 x 19L cornies and 1 x 10.5L corny (gas bottle is outside the fridge).
Not over-indulgent at all! I have 3 under-counter fridges and a smaller one in the bar as well as the SS Brewtech fermenters with heat mats and cooled by a maxi 210 in the garage. This is still a work in progress and lots of people make my setup look distinctly modest! Image

Matt

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:50 pm

Digby wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:47 pm
Cobnut wrote:Maybe I'm being over-indulgent, but I have 3 fridges in my brew/beer shed:

Not over-indulgent at all! I have 3 under-counter fridges and a smaller one in the bar as well as the SS Brewtech fermenters with heat mats and cooled by a maxi 210 in the garage. This is still a work in progress and lots of people make my setup look distinctly modest! Image

Matt

Matt, how have you set up your 210 to cool the fermenters? I'm about to do the same and finally use the chronical, you'll be pleased to hear.

Then I need to find a fridge which is tall and deep enough for 2 x 20l sankeys an a cask or two with a tap in.

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:45 pm

joe1002 wrote:
Digby wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:47 pm

Matt

Matt, how have you set up your 210 to cool the fermenters? I'm about to do the same and finally use the chronical, you'll be pleased to hear.

Then I need to find a fridge which is tall and deep enough for 2 x 20l sankeys an a cask or two with a tap in.
Hi matey,

I use the SS Brewtech heating and cooling, but use a relay to activate the Maxi when the pump circuit goes live. Happy to ping you details via WhatsApp tomorrow.

I am also putting together a board with solenoids etc to cool 2 fermenters at once to different temps.

Matt

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:30 am

This how I use my Maxi 110 to cool the FV. Like Digby I have the Brewtech controller. The maxi stays on all the time so there's ice cold water instantly available to go round the coil in the FV as soon as the controller turns the pump on.

Guy
Brewing Cooling Setup.jpg

Dave1970
Steady Drinker

Post by Dave1970 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:53 pm

Big old shop 'Special Brew' fridge makes a big, flexible fermentation fridge, that's a 60 litre barrel in there. Unexpectedly this was £30 from a halal butchers (they'd turned the Special Brew sign around.
Big larder fridge as a Kegerator, hold 4 kegs with a shelf for bottles.Image

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:54 pm

Dave1970 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:53 pm
that's a 60 litre barrel in there.
Is that a mango chutney barrel I see before me?

James

Dave1970
Steady Drinker

Post by Dave1970 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:33 pm

JamesF wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:54 pm

Is that a mango chutney barrel I see before me?
Well yes & no. It's that type of barrel but it was bought new so it's never had any chutney in it. Won't buy a used one again since the first one I bought which had been used for pickled garlic :-&

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:45 pm

Hmmm.... Garlic beer...

It did take a good soak with oxyclean type stuff to get rid of the smell of mango chutney from mine, it has to be said.

James