Brew Cupboard plan

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Brew Cupboard plan

Post by Hudson1984 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:30 pm

Hi all,

so as I brew in my garage, I was thinking of a way of keeping things controlled that didn't involve another fridge (i.e brewfridge)

my plan is:

Purchase one of these:
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Dakota- ... m/p/122897

I have a sheet of 50mm polystyrene insulation left over from insulating the garage. Plan is to line the insides, well, back, sides, door, under the base (outside) and under the worktop. I'll secure more to the doors, so when I open the door, i take the insulation with me, rather than needing to further remove it after opening the door.

This leaves me room to install a small tube heater, controlled via inkbird.

Inside, will then give me room to make a shelved section on one side and open on the other, meaning I can brew a full fermenting bin on one side and two DJs on the other.

That's the plan anyway. have to see when I can get a cupboard delivered!

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Brew Cupboard plan

Post by IPA » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:19 am

How hot does it get in the garage in summer ?
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:48 am

Hudson1984 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:30 pm
so as I brew in my garage, I was thinking of a way of keeping things controlled that didn't involve another fridge (i.e brewfridge)
What's wrong with a fridge? They already come insulated and do 1/2 the job, keeping the brew cool when the ambient is high. You can get a second hand one for less than the Wickes cupbord and only have to add an Inkbird and a tube heater. You might even achieve that for less than the cupboard and practically no work. :wink:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Post by Hudson1984 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:52 am

hmmm ok point taken. Just easier to get the cupboard at the moment is all.

Normal garage really - stiffling in summer cold in winter. It's insulated but as yet is unheated so wanting a temperature controlled space to use.

I have a crappy under counter fridge we do use for shopping extras, might be better to upgrade that, and use the old one as a brew fridge.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:56 pm

Look out for a second hand larder fridge.

I got one from FB Marketplace for £50.

Not the most beautiful thing, but it lives out in the brewshed, so a few scratches here and there is not an issue!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Post by Hudson1984 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:03 pm

yeah plenty about for £50 it seems.

hmm possibly the right route to take

Wet Spaniel
Steady Drinker

Post by Wet Spaniel » Mon May 04, 2020 9:14 pm

I’d definitely go down the fridge route. Pre insulated, and if you’re going with a tube heater and inkbird, you’ve got 100% temp control,all year round.

Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Post by Hudson1984 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:54 am

well, followed the advice given.

The wife liked the idea of a better fridge so, plumped for a new larder fridge given what's going on it was handy to have delivery etc....even if it did cost more

Brew fridge is now complete, just cut a hole in the side, and wired into the inkbird.

Happily, the fridge is layed out in such a way I can fit a 40 pint bin and a 5l DJ in there at the same time which is fantastic, means I can brew a batch of cider alongside the wifes wine.

I'll be aiming to keep a 5ltr kit of wine going at all times - hopefully we can find one she really enjoys as it works out £1 a bottle rather than the normal £10 for 2 that we'd usually go for. Of course the kits wont be as good but if it's "bareable" it's worth it