Replacing 2.4kw element with 3kw.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
ash_a
Tippler

Replacing 2.4kw element with 3kw.

Post by ash_a » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:52 pm

Hi all,

I brought a 2nd hand 100l pot which had 2 x 2.4kw kettle elements fitted. These have a 40mm hole. I want to fit 2 x 3kw elements from my 70l pot, but these have a 32.5mm hole.

Has anyone tried to fit a 3kw element in a 2.4kw hole? What options do I have? I have looked at an M33 washer, but not sure if there is enough thread on the element?

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Re: Replacing 2.4kw element with 3kw.

Post by a-slayer » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:18 pm

I used to have two 3kw elements in my 100 litre pot till they departed this life, now have two 2.4 kw ones and to be honest don't notice any difference in the time it comes to boil.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:58 am

6kW for a 100L pot seems a bit overkill. Nice for heating to strike temperature outside in the cold, but beyond that potentially more hassle than it's worth, risk of caramelising wort to the elements and boil overs, for example. You might need a dedicated electric supply too, if you haven't already got one.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:01 am

Funnily enough I've just done this, so yes it can be done. There are a couple of options.

The cheaper option - what I did was to cut an extra seal from a sheet of silicone.

My element already came with a 40mm OD seal and a 55mm OD washer as well as the lock nut. I cut a new silicone seal - 60mm OD, 31mm ID - to replace the one that came with it:

Sadly this arrangement leaked, but only from the top as it seemed the element wasn't centred in the hole.
I was going to cut a 2nd seal to exactly fit the hole and help centre it, but actually the original element seal perfectly fit the existing hole, holding the element nicely centred:

I then added the new seal over the top of that, and while it all needed some squashing to get the nut on, no leaks!

This seal was cut from 4mm silicone, but I've since swapped to 2mm silicone and it makes it easier to screw the nut on and still no leaks.

Silicone sheet came from TYM Seals on ebay (http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/tym-seals-a ... 34.c0.m322) and I would highly recommend spending £3-4 on a cheap compass cutter as it allows you to cut nice round seals with clean edges.

The other option I didn't do was to get a 1.5" tri clamp bulkhead fitting which fits into the hole (https://brewbuilder.co.uk/weldless-tric ... khead.html), and then a tri clamp adapter which you screw the element into (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32843872317.html). Bit expensive, but it's shiny stainless kit and tool free disconnect which is always nice. Mark at Brewbuilder might have the tri clamp adapter although it's not on his site.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

ash_a
Tippler

Post by ash_a » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:22 pm

Thanks all for the feedback. Think I'm going to go with the 2 x 2.4kw option as it is currently set up, and ready to brew!

I like the idea of the triclamp fitting and do have a spare 1.5" bulkhead fitting.