What size fermentation bin?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
DDoe
Tippler

What size fermentation bin?

Post by DDoe » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:30 pm

I will be brewing 5L batches of beer. Will a 5L fermentation bin be big enough? It is oversized but just wondering if the additional space will be enough to contain the foam once the fermentation starts. It came as part of a starter 5L kit.

Thanks.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: What size fermentation bin?

Post by f00b4r » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:52 pm

No get a 10L one and then you don't have to worry about it and it gives you some leeway.
To confuse things some manufacturers will quote the actual size and some will quote "batch size plus overhead", so without checking then you don't really have a good handle on what the actual size is.
Personally I would get one with a tap too, at that size you do not want to be messing about with syphons etc, just add a bottling wand and bottle directly from the fv after adding (measured) sugar to the bottles.

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Post by Top Cat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:15 pm

DDoe wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:30 pm
I will be brewing 5L batches of beer. Will a 5L fermentation bin be big enough? It is oversized but just wondering if the additional space will be enough to contain the foam once the fermentation starts. It came as part of a starter 5L kit.

Thanks.
Totally agree with foob4r, but if you wish to try to use what you’ve got.
When quoting the capacity of a vessel most manufacturers or suppliers quote the volume to the very top of the vessel leaving you to adjust the quantity of beer you put in it.
As your vessel came as a kit the supplier should have taken account of the amount (5 litres) to be brewed and left at least a couple of inches for the krausen or yeast head.
You can always fit a blow off tube in the lid if necessary.
A simple check without doing the calculations, would be to fill the bin with 5 litres of water and see how much space you have left!

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:17 pm

Yes, check the actual marked volumes! Get some scales and add water, you may find that you have to add your own marks.

DDoe
Tippler

Post by DDoe » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:34 pm

It's got graduated marks on the side, up to 5L with space above.

I don't really want to get a 10L bin at the moment. I'd like to get all my stuff from one place and currently I think that will be Malt Miller, who don't appear to sell a 10L bin - nearest is 16L.

I think I'll check the markings for accuracy and take it from there.

Thank you for you help.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:31 pm

I wouldn't rely on the manufacturers volume marks on a plastic fermenter - always found them to be way out. As already said, pour in 5 L and mark it off yourself.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:06 pm

Cheap plastic storage boxes with the food-safe symbol make great FVs. I've used an 80 ltr one which was about £6. a 10 litre food safe bucket with lid is £4.89 delivered from ebay.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget