Beer Engine Overhaul

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
private4587
Tippler

Beer Engine Overhaul

Post by private4587 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:53 am

I‘m about to strip down and overhaul my beer engine as it is really dirty, having been laid around in a closed pub for awhile. My question is after putting it all together and running some starsan through it would it be ok to leave starsan within the cylinder.

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Re: Beer Engine Overhaul

Post by Trefoyl » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:50 am

I don’t because Starsan can be corrosive on anything except stainless because it’s acidic, and it leaves a film after awhile.
The cylinder stays wet after cleaning and can grow mold if neglected in a hot environment like a garage which is why I had to take mine apart. Now I run beer line cleaner through every so often even if it’s not used and after rinsing pump out as much liquid as I can.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

chastuck
Hollow Legs

Post by chastuck » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:59 pm

Fortunately the cylinder on my handpump is easy to take apart. I always take the bottom of the cylinder off and store it that way to avoid mildew developing.

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:10 pm

chastuck wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:59 pm
Fortunately the cylinder on my handpump is easy to take apart. I always take the bottom of the cylinder off and store it that way to avoid mildew developing.
The Angram performs beautifully but is not designed for ease of maintenance. Mine is a plain cylinder, I imagine a water jacketed cylinder would be even harder to take apart.
I’m lucky to have a beer engine, they are still very rare here in the US. I saw that Pint365 are offering deluxe versions now, solid oak and brass. If I was in the market for a new beer engine I’d be tempted.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.