Fermenters rated/compared

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
chris2012
Under the Table

Re: Fermenters rated/compared

Post by chris2012 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:29 pm

McMullan, that sounds cool re. naturally carbing and pressure transfer. At some point I'd like to do something like that.
I bought one of the kegland spunding valves a while ago, I need to play with.

MashBag
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MashBag » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:08 pm

McMullan wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:01 pm
I wasn't ever able to justify the cost of SS FVs. A complete waste of money mainly, for home brew. They don't produce better beer. And some look like more hassle than they're worth. I was happily using plastic FVs for years, until Kegmenters arrived. Very simple design that works very well. My main use is to seal towards the end of fermentation to naturally carbonate, then pressure transfer to kegs or beer gun some bottles.
I have to say these have got me thinking. They have opened the door to bottling bright too.

An Ankoù
Steady Drinker

Post by An Ankoù » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:44 am

MashBag wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:09 pm
chris2012 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:42 pm
I don't think I saw 'closed transfers' mentioned as one of the advantages of certain SS fermenters. (I don't think I've seen any plastic ones you can do that with?)
There is a clue there!
I've never seen the need to do closed transfers as I don't brew NEIPAs, but I think the Speidel fermenter would take a decent pressure, the plastic looks as thick as a PB.
I'm cheap. Just give me beer.

McMullan
Under the Table

Post by McMullan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:21 pm

An Ankoù wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:44 am
MashBag wrote:
chris2012 wrote:
I don't think I saw 'closed transfers' mentioned as one of the advantages of certain SS fermenters. (I don't think I've seen any plastic ones you can do that with?)
There is a clue there!
I've never seen the need to do closed transfers as I don't brew NEIPAs, but I think the Speidel fermenter would take a decent pressure, the plastic looks as thick as a PB.
It definitely helps if you've got a naturally carbed beer to transfer from the FV. Under a little pressure, that is.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:28 am

An Ankoù wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:44 am
MashBag wrote:
chris2012 wrote:
There is a clue there!
Both the 12 and 20 litres speidel fermenters definitely take pressure, although they’re not as strong as a PB.

I had the bottom of a 12 round out after I used it for ageing some beer with Brett.
It did nothing for 3 months then suddenly one day I found it wobbling around.

I put an S30 in the lid of a 20 litre fermenter too, and used that for some top pressure before opening for dry hopping etc to avoid oxygen ingress.

I’ve never found a difference between pressure transferring and just using the tap on the bottom of my fermenter and gravity. However I do rack into purged kegs and I don’t use a siphon that can force air bubbles through the finished beer. If you have to rack from floor level (e.g. from the bottom port of a heavy conical) I’d think pressure transferring would be more useful then.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.