Brew Pub Shed Build

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
spook100
Piss Artist

Brew Pub Shed Build

Post by spook100 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:41 am

After years of putting it off because I know it will be a big job, I have finally made a start of my Brew Pub Shed. I have got a lot out of this forum over a number of years so hopefully this little journal of the build will give something back to others.

The shed will be divided into two sections: the brewery (2.3m x 2.3m) and the pub (2.8m x 3.4m). The footprint is just under the 15m2 land the height is just under 2.5m, both just below the size for which planning permission would be required.

It should be usable year round so have opted for 4 inch insulated walls, skinned with 12mm external ply with another layer of feather-edge cladding over the top for asthetics. Roof joists are also 4 inch with a layer of 12mm external ply on top and a layer of premium grade roofing felt for weather-proofing.

A power supply will be run from the main house and provide both mains power and lighting. The brewery will also have plumbing installed, although there will not be a permanent water supply. Rather, I will put a hose attachment to the outside of the shed and run a hose pipe to it from an outside tap whenever I need to brew.

Because windows and doors can potentially be very expensive, especially if you want decent insulation, I picked up 5 large triple-glazed windows and a door on eBay for £40 and then designed the rest of the structure around those. All of the materials have already been delivered and I am doing the work myself. I started a coupleof months ago so have already completed the structural studwork and the roof and will post some pics of the progress so far soon. The total cost will be in the order of £3500.

This is the design which has been done using sketchup. The pub is on the right, the brewery on the left:
PubShedDesign1.PNG
PubShedDesign2.PNG
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

spook100
Piss Artist

Re: Brew Pub Shed Build

Post by spook100 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:25 pm

The build so far:
I will update this post with any new pics as I go along, for those that don't want to read through the entire thread.

Foundations: the smaller slab on the left is where an old shed was located and will be the brewery. The area with the concrete block stub walls will be the pub.

The framework is built and ply boards going on the roof.

Framework and roof complete, part way through putting on the plywood skin. The white fabric is a waterproof, breathable membrane that is wrapped around the entire frame.

Update: 22/06/21
Plywood skin complete.

The interior

Update: 22/07/21
The external cladding on and the exterior is complete.
Last edited by spook100 on Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:53 pm

Absolutely brilliant.
Regards
Patch

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:17 pm

That's looking great, I look forward to seeing more as you progress

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:46 pm

Looking great. Are you sure it's big enough? Jim's Beer Kit has 1734 members ready to descend for the grand opening.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:58 pm

Looks good.

I built this almost 3 years ago.
shed.jpg
I managed to get a "shop soiled" 44mm walled 5m x 4m "log cabin" for a decent price. A local handyman laid a concrete slab for me for another decent price and the family and I built it over a weekend.

Over subsequent months we got it painted (Prussian Blue) - and yes, the windows surrounds are meant to not be painted!

Electrics installed (you can never have enough power points!), water connected (I installed a small electric handwash unit) - I took the same approach as you (hose connector on the outside), but have laid a hose in permanently; I just need to switch on the outside tap to supply water.

I've since installed a sink and a small bar using a 2nd hand small (too small, actually) butler sink bought off FB marketplace and a 3m length of work surface from a local DIY store.

It's already too full!

3 larder fridges, one under-counter fridge, 2 sets of racking/shelf units, etc, etc.

Already thinking I need a 2nd shed as a "pub".

The main issue I have is that it faces South and in the summer (yes, we get one in Suffolk) it gets far too hot! 35C on a sunny day is quite common.

At present, the windows are open 24/7 and I have blinds covering all the glass which helps a bit.

Enjoy both the build and using the shed once complete!

Cobnut
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

themadhippy

Post by themadhippy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:36 pm

if your going to be digging a trench for your mains supply you might as well chuck in a length of blue poly pipe for your water as well.also what are you doing for drainage?
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:02 pm

When I was younger I dreamed of having a place in the country with roses growing round the door.
We now have a place in the country with roses growing around the brewery door. :D
P1010590.JPG
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:43 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:58 pm
Electrics installed (you can never have enough power points!), water connected (I installed a small electric handwash unit)
I was thinking about some sort of electric hot water unit too. What type did you get?

Your shed looks great! I am going to leave mine au naturale but have been pondering a colour to paint the windows. I think I may just have found it :wink:

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:47 pm

themadhippy wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:36 pm
if your going to be digging a trench for your mains supply you might as well chuck in a length of blue poly pipe for your water as well.also what are you doing for drainage?
Unfortunately the electric supply has to come from the opposite end of the house as the water supply. The route for the water supply would go under a concrete slab and some brick paving so is a lot more complicated than simply digging a trench, which is why I am avoiding it.
Drainage is going straight out the back into a 3 metre thick hedge.

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:49 pm

IPA wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:02 pm
When I was younger I dreamed of having a place in the country with roses growing round the door.
We now have a place in the country with roses growing around the brewery door. :D
P1010590.JPG
Nice! I like the little tred tree beside the door. What type is it? :lol:

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:43 pm

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:42 pm

Looking really good. Best of luck with the rest of the build.

What's your plan for steam extraction from your brewery?

Guy

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:51 pm

vacant wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:46 pm
Looking great. Are you sure it's big enough? Jim's Beer Kit has 1734 members ready to descend for the grand opening.
vacant,
1735 actually. Please keep up with the modern world! #-o

WA

And we will all keep 2mts apart as if our lives depended on it! :wink:

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:06 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:42 pm
Looking really good. Best of luck with the rest of the build.

What's your plan for steam extraction from your brewery?

Guy
I brew on a Grainfather now. I have an old shower tray that the GF will sit in while brewing; above that will be a shelf for the HLT; above that will be an old cooker hood to extract the steam. Hopefully that will do the trick.