From thread "ANGELHOMEBREW - TILT Hydrometer and Repeater Back in Stock"

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
PeeBee
Under the Table

From thread "ANGELHOMEBREW - TILT Hydrometer and Repeater Back in Stock"

Post by PeeBee » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:18 pm

I've started this thread so people can vent their spleens here instead of the less appropriate original location:

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=83268&sid=8d0b03c5 ... 6f#p857503

Cobnut wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:36 am
I have one of the 2nd generation tilt hydrometers. In the plastic fermenter (fermentasaurus) inside the fermentation fridge it works a treat connected to a raspberry pi zero W running the tilt pi app; I’m able to generate a plot of the fermentation progress so I can see when fermentation has finished (then take a FG reading with glass hydrometer).

However, with my SS conical, the Bluetooth connection doesn’t work so I have to manually take “readings” via my smartphone (still means I don’t need to remove any wort from the fermenter).

I’m a bit loathe to buy the repeater that they sell (maybe sell my SS conical and go back to the fermentasaurus? 😂), but it would probably work.

The tilt Pro looks as though it might also solve this radio propagation issue, but looks a tad dear too.

Boys’ toys, eh?
I got a Tilt Pro direct from US manufacturer ('cos they're very new and I'm very impatient). Pricey at $250 (£180) but delivery was free and it arrived in three days (I think that was a fluke). I could get a signal from the old Tilt but it had to have the TiltPi receiver very close. It was in this (you can see the TiltPi on the window shelf):
20210703_113407.jpg
20210703_113407.jpg (69.83 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
That's a 70L "commercial" conical fermenter with heavy gauge SS walls and 10mm thick lid weighing about 6Kgs+. You don't take the lid off unless it's absolutely necessary (the flexible seal will go anywhere if you try)! It's less than 10 years old but there was not the choice even back then. I'll modify it soon so the lid has a lid (100mm) in it!
TiltPro.JPG
TiltPro.JPG (42.18 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
The ordinary Tilt is in the Grainfather fermenter also in the piccie (it does the "trial" brews!).

The Pro works in it no problem.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing