A better spunding valve?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: A better spunding valve?

Post by MashBag » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:05 am

Excellent news.
I just sorry you had to wade through the poop that got posted in this thread.

Do you just use this for lager?

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:44 pm

... More "poop" perhaps?

There appears to be (or has been) some sort of "goings on" between Australian goods (kegland.com.au) and China sourced objects? Though China appears to be manufacturing Kegland stuff? Maybe the source of dramatic differences about "Blowtie" spunding valves expressed in this thread?

I'd tread carefully. Or perhaps someone better explains it clearer?

spook100 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:12 am
... <Blowtie> seems to hold a really steady pressure ...
That's the problem with reading low pressures (<1BAR or 15PSI); the cheapo gauges aren't very good measuring those pressures and are not generally trusted (hence words like "seems"). But someone pointed out to me a cheap source of low pressure gauges ... the gauges used for blood pressure machines (you can buy just the gauge). You may have to convert from the unusual units (mmHg at 0°C) but they do tend to be readings you can trust.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:11 am

MashBag wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:05 am
Excellent news.
I just sorry you had to wade through the poop that got posted in this thread.

Do you just use this for lager?
Yes, primarliy for lagers. Although I sometimes use it to ferment ales at a higheer temp and simultaneously carbonate if I need to get it finished in a rush.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:37 am

Hmm. Quick ale. That's what I was interested in. How quick is it?

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:32 am

I've acquired one of these blow-tie spunding valves and so far it seems to be doing an admirable job. I've tweaked it to a pressure (as per the gauge which came with it) to around 6psi and it seems to be holding very steady at that pressure.

Happy Cobnut.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:43 am

MashBag wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:37 am
Hmm. Quick ale. That's what I was interested in. How quick is it?
I will usually pitch at around 19C and then raise the temp by 1C per day to 22C (all at around 15PSI). Fermentation is usually done in 3-4 days. I leave it for another day or two to clean up and then cool to 2C, which takes about 12 hours. I then fine with 1 tsp gelatine in 200ml of waterand leave for a further two days to clear. For ales, I generally don't need to add any additional CO2 at this stage because they are already carbonated enough from fermenting under pressure. I can get a nice tasting, carbonated beer that is acceptably clear within 8-10 days.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:41 pm

I can get a nice tasting, carbonated beer that is acceptably clear within 8-10 days.
So could you bottle it bright, straight from?

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:15 pm

MashBag wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:41 pm
I can get a nice tasting, carbonated beer that is acceptably clear within 8-10 days.
So could you bottle it bright, straight from?
I don't bottle very often these days so haven't tried it but can't see any reason why not.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:38 pm

I am trialing ferment in kettle and straight to bottle - 7 days. Then conditioning, that it superb.

This could be next

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:15 pm

I've had the idea of brewing a big batch in a 50L kegmenter, connecting the gas out to a corny (or two) with the spunding valve on the gas outlet. Should carbonate the other keg as well, I'm sure we blow lots of CO2 into the atmosphere from brewing, this will delay it. Brewing = environmentally friendly!