A better spunding valve?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: A better spunding valve?

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:47 pm

Thanks McM. Didn't know such things existed. Just bought one.

Guy

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:28 am

Secateurs a very good too.

As long you pressure cook them for 4 hours in neat Starsan 🤣🤣

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:01 pm

Well, let's see how well a very sharp pair of secateurs compares with a JG tube cutter, shall we? :D
IMG_0468.jpg
IMG_0468.jpg (628.65 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG (679.29 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG (785.96 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
I guess it depends on what you consider 'acceptable'. Your personal tolerances and level of expectation. As opposed to doing something properly and pretending there's an alternative way of getting a comparable result 🤠

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:48 pm

Bicycle hydraulic brake hose cutters do a good job if you have them.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:58 pm

Sorry, I don't have any bicycle hydraulic brake hose cutters to compare. How much do they cost and do they cut hose up to 22mm diameter?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:22 pm

I see, they look a bit like the tube cutters Kegland sell. I'm sure they work fine. A lot better than a pair secateurs. I'd rather spend literally a few quid more, though, and get the JG cutters. Had mine for over 10 years. Refitted the bathroom and central heating system in our old house. Lent them to a couple mates doing similar projects. Now used mainly for my home brewing needs. Work just like the day I first got them. Top quality. John Guest made in France.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:38 pm

Blimey 22mm co2 hose must connect to one hell of a keg 🤣😂

You can get a peg like device (bullbog clip) that contains a blade that would also do a grand job. There is no one way.

It is worth noting the cut end does not form part of the seal. However much you spend on the cutters, but it should be clean cut and not leave rough bits as these can damage or unseat the o rings when inserted.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:29 pm

The widest diameter tubing I use is 25mm silicone, on my keg washer. JG cutters handle it just fine. It's very important to not only get a clean cut in push-fit tubing but also important to maintain the form of the tube. Easy to see how secateurs fail on both. Your view here, although stating the obvious, is a bit like saying "It's fine to drive into a single garage sideways, as long as you don't damage the sides". Note too that JG cutters can be picked up new for little more than a tenner. Probably less than your secateurs #-o

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:50 am

If you rotate the tube as you cut it, the form and finish are fine.

Price point, 100% agree if you need to buy.
But if you already have something that does the job.....
Why more clutter? More plastic? More expense?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:45 am

Secateurs don't do the job, though. That's been established. See above #-o Note too there's nothing inherently wrong with plastic. It's a very useful material that's very easy to recycle. It's the profiteering clowns who wilfully dump it on an industrial scale into the oceans who are wrong.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:56 am

Carnot wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:07 pm
My experience with the Kegland chinese blow tie valve was nothing to write home about. The real issue is the differntial pressure. The diaphragm is small and when it finally opens it stays open, and the back pressure is all over the place. The fermentation process is not constant in terms of gas production and these valves do no modulate well( at all). I think a good read on PeeBee's experience with carbon dioxide regulators say it all. ...
Thanks for that. I never understood why I had to keep the regulators (Shako NR200) I use as "spunding valves" attached to the CO2 cylinder (or pressurised container) to make them work. Now I better understand. And also why I can't get much joy out of those Kegland "blow-ties" and continue to use the regulators as a far better alternative despite having the slight inconvenience of maintaining "back-pressure".

And I'm disappointed that like common regulators these "Blowties" don't hold steady to low pressures (>5psi). Still, there is an unmissable opportunity to be had from this …

My own Kegland "blow-ties" languish in the dust:
20210818_082932.jpg
20210818_082932.jpg (69.91 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
But they do make good "wet" pressure relief valves (for use with diaphragm pumps say). Couldn't understand why once operating these relief valves didn't shut again - but you've explained that too and they were still working anyway for what I use them for. They work "wet" because I believe they (and the very similar "regulators") were originally created for wet applications like in reverse osmosis? (For anyone who doesn't know: "Wet" pressure regulators don't exist, you can't regulate the pressure of something that can't be compressed -- liquid, but they do function as variable restrictors).

But for "spunding valve": I can't understand why "McM" is encouraging the use of such devices? He's usually has outspoken views of people being taken in by nonsense. Guess his mate David Heath has put out a good review of them?

:wall
Carnot wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:07 pm
... My valve leaked like a sieve. I was reduced to removing it and peridocially attaching it to the fermetor. I actually paired two 19 L cornies to a 5 litre corny to act as a gas reservoir. My opinion - a crock. I am looking arond for a regulator with a lower differential pressure capability. i.e probably a big diapragm.
You might struggle. Low cost regulators with big diaphragms tend to be LPG regulators that by design have no "relieving" function (you don't vent explosive gases). Though I do have one that does relieve. Chinese of course; they do like to dispense with the "un-necessary" safety features. But such are also likely to be encumbered with "POL" adapters.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:10 am

Did you use a pair secateurs, PeePee? :lol: I haven't noticed any problems with Kegland's blowtie spunding valves, personally. They work exactly as intended without any issues. But I'm not looking for an issue to complain about, in a compulsively over-the-top way :wink:

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:45 am

McMullan wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:45 am
Secateurs don't do the job, though. That's been established. See above
Nah.. We have established bad technique or blunt secateurs 😂😂😂

Please try harder 😂

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:17 am

Such tenacity! You're more persistent than a fart in a shoebox.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:25 pm

McMullan wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:10 am
Did you use a pair secateurs, PeePee? :lol: I haven't noticed any problems with Kegland's blowtie spunding valves, personally. They work exactly as intended without any issues. But I'm not looking for an issue to complain about, in a compulsively over-the-top way :wink:
Damn! I was sure I had a dead-cert windup and it fell flat, even got a nearly civil response back. Usually mentioning his "pal" David Heath (Norwegian HB shop proprietor and prolific HB video blogger) is enough to induce apoplectic outpourings from "McM". Obviously that "Borg" has adapted and I need to alter the frequency of my phasers.

==========

I'm not actually suggesting people using "Blowtie" spunding valves should switch to the regulators I use; they are 3x the price! I'll stick with the regulators 'cos I use them elsewhere and I don't need inferior "Blowtie" spunding devices cluttering up my kit. The "Blowties" obviously do the job, just don't get excited at the accuracy they bring (does "spunding" need accuracy?). "Blowties" are a hell of an improvement on those naff "poppet/stick" type valves that were popular before them.

But if you must throw the "Blowties" out, use them instead as pressure relief valves, for the likes of diaphragm pumps that are quite capable of over-pressuring plastic pipes until they burst (and you do get wet if nearby - I know!).

And to cut pipe going into JG type fittings, I use, not secateurs, but a "Stanley"-like knife. Just don't stand close if you see me with the knife in my right-hand - I tend to be a bit indiscriminate using sharp knives right-handed :pink: (not intentionally!).
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing