A better spunding valve?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
spook100
Piss Artist

A better spunding valve?

Post by spook100 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:17 pm

I have had two of this type spunding valves that I have used for a few years now, however, I have always found them really difficult to set just right. The pressure adjustment is just not granular or accurate enough to set to a predicatable pressure and they regularly get stuck in the open or closed positions.
I have seen a number of other types on the market ranging from £30 - £100+. I'm not one to blow good cash on an over-engineered product so am tempted to try the £30 diaphram type (below) but don't mind spending more if the cheaper ones aren't going to do the job. Any advice from people that have had experience with these?
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

swiggingpig
Steady Drinker

Re: A better spunding valve?

Post by swiggingpig » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:34 pm

This is the valve I use along with bits from the old useless spunding valve.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pneumati ... s/2108443/

I find it very granular and accurate.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:54 pm

The cheap Kegland spunding valves are far superior. I'd buy direct from their global store too on aliexpress. About half price including postage. Very reliable service in my experience. They have a new design too, but I haven't tried it yet.

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:07 pm

My experience with the Kegland chinese blow tie valve was nothing to write home about. The real issue is the differntial pressure. The diaphragm is small and when it finally opens it stays open, and the back pressure is all over the place. The fermentation process is not constant in terms of gas production and these valves do no modulate well( at all). I think a good read on PeeBee's experience with carbon dioxide regulators say it all.

My valve leaked like a sieve. I was reduced to removing it and peridocially attaching it to the fermetor. I actually paired two 19 L cornies to a 5 litre corny to act as a gas reservoir. My opinion - a crock. I am looking arond for a regulator with a lower differential pressure capability. i.e probably a big diapragm.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:10 pm

That's interesting, because I have 3 Blowtie spunding valves that I've been using routinely over a year now. They all work perfectly. And I'm pretty sure others have had good experiences with them too. I got mine based on recommendation from someone I trust. Then bought another two when it was clear they worked as described. Maybe you got a dud one or set it up wrong?

ADMIN EDIT: removal of the last sentence - no personal attacks, read the forum rules.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:10 am

@Spook

Personally I think your idea will work & really is worth a go.

If it fails, which I doubt, all the parts are relevant and reusable/reconfigurable.
Last edited by MashBag on Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:20 am

McMullan wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:10 pm

ADMIN EDIT: removal of the last sentence - no personal attacks, read the forum rules.
@McMullan

Really!

You appear to be a clever chap, so you know what the rules are. I would miss your knowledge & informed opinions if you get banned.
But please stop the attitude, it just undermines you.

If you really are that angry, go join a boxing club.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:50 am

Who’s angry? I’ve always been happy to challenge bullshit :D It’s in my DNA.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:11 pm

Challenge yes absolutely.
But that does not include being personal, rude or sarcastic etc. Which is unfortunately the way it reads, which could be interpreted as you are angry at the world.

Challenge and picking a fight are very different things.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:08 pm

:lol: Are you trying to pick a fight? I suspect I have unfair advantages. Put your handbag away, for goodness’ sake.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:46 pm

😁😁

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:39 pm

I found that the brass spunding valves that have a poppet spring were unreliable in that they’d open at one pressure and close at a lower one. Sometimes the poppet wouldn’t re-seat properly and you end up with no pressure held at all.

I switched to a kegland blowtie and have been using it for various things for a couple of years and it’s been very reliable in comparison, so I can highly recommend them. Anything better would cost over £100.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:39 pm

Many thanks for all the excellent advice. I'm going to give the blowtie valves a go. As Mashbag has pointed out, most of the components can be repurposed if it doesn't work out.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:13 pm

Whenever using push fittings, e.g., John Guest, Duotight, etc., it’s very important to use a tool specifically designed for cutting plastic tubing. They are not optional, as some seem to think. (Then complain about the product :roll: ). Get one. You’ll be surprised how often you’ll use it, as a home brewer to cut all of your tubing properly :wink:

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:36 pm

Yeah those kind of pipe cutters work great. Much better than using a knife which I used to do.