Grainfather grain mill

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Grainfather grain mill

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:03 pm

Has anyone bought one of these yet?

It's very tempting. Not so much for the base malt. I buy 25 Kg of crushed Marris Otter at a time. It always has a best before date of about a year after purchase. Barely lasts me half that long!

It would be more for the other malts I use; black, chocolate, various crystals etc. They can sometimes hang around for quite a while.

The MM video makes it look really easy to use.

Guy

McMullan

Re: Grainfather grain mill

Post by McMullan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:51 pm

For that price you could get a pretty decent mill with a hopper big enough to hold your whole grain bill. That incy-wincy hopper does look like it’s sized for speciality malts. Probably struggle with a decent porter. Unless you’re happy standing there pouring it in gradually. I also think Rob’s over complicating the process. The idea is the focus on milling your base malt optimally, not fanny about with each different malt. It’s a new myth to me. I do mill rye and wheat in a separate Corona mill, personally, as they tend to escape the crush setting on my primary mill. To be honest, for another 100 quid I’d snap up Jer’s Monster mill.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:41 am

Just for additional malts, I get that. But it does look a bit more kitchen appliance than beefy tool. A 1kg hopper would be a pita for me.

I am still undecided about mills, because it is so
easy in the UK to buy crushed, so will I be able to TASTE the benefit?

It is a very expensive test. Have you got a problem that needs fixing? ... Or just fancy a MILL? (Think that's where I am TBH)

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:31 am

MashBag wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:41 am
It is a very expensive test. Have you got a problem that needs fixing? ... Or just fancy a MILL? (Think that's where I am TBH)
Have I got a problem which needs fixing? Won't know until I try to fix it! My black and chocolate malts hang around for ages and I always think the beer is better when I get a new, freshly crushed batch from MM. That may be due to expectation bias, or it may not.

Or do I just fancy a mill? Definitely! It's been a long time since any new brewing equipment has come my way.

As to the 1 Kg hopper, doesn't really bother me. Even if I used the mill for 4-5 Kg of base malt it doesn't seem too onerous to keep pouring it in as the mill grinds it.

Guy

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:07 am

I forgot to note above that I wasn't too impressed with the sound of the motor and the fact it cuts out to save itself from burning out. Doesn't sound like a quality motor. Not something I'd want integrated in what looks like an expensive coffee grinder. If my trusty Dewalt drill ever fails I can still use my top notch Monster mill manually :=P Again, for less than 250 quid you can get a decent grain mill that lasts you years. I expect to hear lots of complaints about this electric mill from GF. We'll see.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:18 am

I would be really interested to hear if people have noticed a dramatic improvement moving from the top quality freshly milled grain, sealed in thick gauge plastic bags by Rob and his team at MM, when they moved to a malt mill.
A couple of the more unusual malts I thought I might use or I’ve got my stock control wrong, have become duck food, but otherwise it is one of the few bits of brewing kit I have so far decided not to consider making even more room in the garage for!
Also seems a lot cheaper to give the ducks a couple of pounds worth of malt once in a while!

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:17 pm

I feel new thread coming on to answer that ............

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83442
Last edited by MashBag on Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vacant

Post by vacant » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:47 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:31 am
My black and chocolate malts hang around for ages and I always think the beer is better when I get a new, freshly crushed batch from MM. That may be due to expectation bias, or it may not.
I don't expect anything extracted for my black malt apart from colour ... the remainder of my 500g bag is well old.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:01 pm

vacant wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:47 pm
I don't expect anything extracted for my black malt apart from colour ... the remainder of my 500g bag is well old.
That is a very good point. Backed up by - I steep mine and don't add them in the mash.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:07 pm

Hmmm, the arguments in favour of getting a mill are slowly slipping away!

Guy

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:35 pm

The argument for or against owning your own malt mill depends on how you brew. I'm biased by years of grinding fresh spices from whole seeds and I really do want to QC what I'm using, whether it's malts, hops, spices or even meat. I try to avoid processed shite as much as possible.

vacant

Post by vacant » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:11 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:07 pm
Hmmm, the arguments in favour of getting a mill are slowly slipping away!
Is it shiny? That counts.

vacant

Post by vacant » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:11 pm

double post somehow

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:35 pm

vacant wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:11 pm
Is it shiny? That counts.
Sort of shiny. It's got a shiny bit on it. At the moment that is the most compelling argument for getting one! Plus I haven't bought any brewing gear for ages.

Guy

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:40 am

Guy,

I think it's the only thing it has going for it.
.. Unless you cannot buy crushed.

I cannot find a positive benefit. Why give yourself a messy, time consuming, expensive job that you can get done for free??

From a freshness point of view, bakers know, the best bread is made from mature flour not the freshest.

I do understand the avoiding proceeded shite, but for me there has a be a line, else I will be growing the barley and malting it myself.

I am not rushing to order one.