Is Brewly sparge water heater any good

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
White82
Sober

Is Brewly sparge water heater any good

Post by White82 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:56 pm

Hey

Does anyone have a Brewly sparge water heater? I just wanna know if there are any issues with these as I can't seem to find any reviews online.

I'm upgrading equipment from the DIY deathtrap type to an all in one and I need a sparge heater. Choices seem to be limited if you want a barbed ball valve type tap and I can only really find the Brewly or the bulldog. The Brewly is £30 cheaper. I also don't really fancy the other option of fitting a valve to a tea urn.

Be really grateful for any responses on this.

Cheers
Ross

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: Is Brewly sparge water heater any good

Post by f00b4r » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:16 pm

I cannot comment on there Brewly but a sparge heater isn’t really vital for an all in one system, I tend to fill my Braumeister the night before to almost the brim, treat the water (campden, acids and salts) and then have it all heat for mash in via controller for when I wake. In the morning I draw off the extra water into a stock pot and mash in. The water is still warm when I go to sparge; I probably lose a little time with the water having dropped in temperature a bit but it is not huge and all my water is pretreated for sparging and/or diluting at the end of the boil.
Lots of people do use them though and prefer to have them.

White82
Sober

Post by White82 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:25 am

Appreciate your reply. I did think of racking some off into the fv before the mash but was worried the temp would drop too low and I wouldn't be able to heat it back up.

I guess worst case scenario, I could just add some water from the house kettle if it drops a bit. It doesn't sound though like it'll drop too much from what you've said. I'm used to using plastic containers so now I'm upgrading to stainless (got a new fv too), just a bit unsure whether the SS would hold the temperature as well.

Of course I could always use the old boiler made out of a lime pickle barrel and kettle elements but then it just feels like I'm defeating the point of upgrading:)

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:55 am

A large saucepan on the hob works for me.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)