Spiny sparge arms - What are your thoughts?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Spiny sparge arms - What are your thoughts?

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:10 am

I'm planning a new brewery build and am looking into sparging options. I've never used a spiny sparge arm before but always loved the idea of having one simply because they look pro :-) What are your views on them? Have read that they only really work with pressure. That might be a problem for me as i'd be relying on gravity.

Cheers!
Floyd

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Spiny sparge arms - What are your thoughts?

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:07 am

It should work fine with a gravity feed. I used one for years before switching to one of these when I moved my 3V system to a single level and started using pumps.

Watching a spiny sparge arm working is hugely satisfying, though! Once you've got a couple of centimetres of sparge liquor on top of your grain you can adjust the flow rate through the arm so it matches the outflow and keeps the grain 'floating'.

Guy

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:09 am

Cheers Guy. An wow! I love that AutoSparge. Super pricey, though! I reckon I could build something similar, though. Really nice idea. Although... not as satisfying as watching a spiny arm!

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:54 pm

floydmeddler wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:09 am
Cheers Guy. An wow! I love that AutoSparge. Super pricey, though! I reckon I could build something similar, though. Really nice idea. Although... not as satisfying as watching a spiny arm!
There's absolutely no doubt you could build one.

Mind you, you'd have to source a fully adjustable stainless steel float valve, plus a bit of silicone tubing, plus a stainless steel something or other to keep the outlet tube floating on the top of the sparge liquor in the tun. No good if it sinks into the grain.

Could end up costing as much as the one from MM!

Guy

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:37 pm

A valentine arm is another option.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:30 pm

There should be an old thread on JBK somewhere in the distant past of a windscreen motor set up spinning a sparge arm which was then gravity fed with liquor, combine that with a VA and & you can treat your MT as a lady, long and slow, rather than a modern day GF hard and fast ;)

Search Wallybrew's distant past :D :lol:

Everyone seems in such a hurry now days to sparge, taste the grain in a GF after a quick sparge, still sugary ? [-X :shock:

Enjoy ATB barnney
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

WallyBrew
Hollow Legs

Post by WallyBrew » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:16 am

barneey wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:30 pm
There should be an old thread on JBK somewhere in the distant past of a windscreen motor set up spinning a sparge arm which was then gravity fed with liquor, combine that with a VA and & you can treat your MT as a lady, long and slow, rather than a modern day GF hard and fast ;)

Search Wallybrew's distant past :D :lol:

Everyone seems in such a hurry now days to sparge, taste the grain in a GF after a quick sparge, still sugary ? [-X :shock:

Enjoy ATB barnney
That's probably suffered from the photobucket curse but I do still have the pictures.

here's the exploded version...
Sparge arm manufacture 009-IMG_0287.jpg
Sparge arm manufacture 009-IMG_0287.jpg (180.24 KiB) Viewed 1205 times

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:38 am

They work fine but keeping an inch of water above the grain bed by using a silicon pipe is just as effective and less problematic especially if you are RIMS/HERMS.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:46 am

Cheers dudes. Plenty to consider. :-)

Great to see some names I recognise from back in the day when I spent more time on Jim's than I did with my missus! :-)

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:54 am

Another idea for the VA, if you don't fancy making a metal version or simply want to try the idea out is to connect a piece of hose to the out let of the MT. get a Tee piece, this could even be a piece of copper tube or the like. Extend the hose up the outside of the MT and cut somewhere 6+" above the top of the MT, bungee secure this / truckers hitch so its a adjustable in height (if you are using a gravity fed HLT secure it to that. Tee off roughly where the height of you Mash normally is and fit another piece of hose to the tee to drain into your collection vessel. With the sliding truckers hitch adjust the height of the tee to your mash when you start running off /sparging = A very DIY VA set up. Just don't let any knots fail etc / hose to fall, otherwise it will be free flowing and depending where the hose lands might end up in loss of wort. The tee needs to be used to allow for ventilation / free flowing of the set up.

Those Blichmann things do work I have used then in the past, suffice to say its now back in it box. Its just a SS version of a tank float. They seem to have doubled in price over the period of 6 years :( so again a DIY version could be made quite cheaply & a DIY VA would give you great flow control. The only thing I disliked about them was making another hole in the MT. If using gravity it would be simpler just to just adjust on the tap outlet of the HLT.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)