Grainfather fermenter very slow heating

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Jase
Steady Drinker

Grainfather fermenter very slow heating

Post by Jase » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi All,

I popped a batch into the conical fermenter last night and it is taking a very very long time to get up to heat. The temperature was 12.3C when it went into the FV, which was around 10pm last night. At 9am this morning it was only at 15.3C, so only a 3 degree increase, in almost 12 hours, and as I look at it now, the temperature is 17.2. The chart on the app shows a very constant linear increase in temperature.

I haven't brewed for several months, but I am sure it heated up a lot quicker than this before. Sure, its cold in my garage, about 9C, and there is no insulating jacket, however I used this FV all through last winter like this, and I don't recall it taking this long. When I touch the FV, it is only warm in one patch on one side. I also recall that the FV has a heater like a band that runs all the way round the FV, so surely I should feel the heat all the way round?

Can anyone confirm if the heating runs all the way round the vessel, and roughly how long it takes to heat up?

Thanks
J

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Grainfather fermenter very slow heating

Post by MashBag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:00 pm

If its this one....
https://brew2bottle.co.uk/products/grai ... ro-edition

I would expect it will be slow outside in the cold, without a jacket.

"Integrated Gentle Heating: In the cavity of the fermenter between the outer body and cone sits a 30 Watt, 12V heating element. Unlike standard heating elements/sources that directly heat the liquid, this heat source is designed to heat the environment in between the walls of the fermenter, which in turn heats the liquid. It is similar to controlling the temperature in a temperature controlled room. The fermenter acts as an artificial environment which can be heated, meaning the temperature is raised in an even and controlled manner which is much better for the yeast. "

Jase
Steady Drinker

Post by Jase » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:58 pm

I found some stats from a brew I did last December. It went from 6.4C at midnight, to 13.3C at 18:45. So that's 7C in 19 hours. Right now it is at 17.8C, so that's up only 5.5C in 25 hours. I checked the weather for that day last year and conditions are very similar today, so I definitely think something is up.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:53 am

Reference notes always airways good.

Can you test the elements?

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:02 am

Is the volume the same?

Jase
Steady Drinker

Post by Jase » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:04 pm

MashBag wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:02 am
Is the volume the same?
Yes, well, actually it is slightly less, 24L vs 25L last December.

I guess that not many people have this type of fermenter. I was hoping some other owners would be able to advise about the heating band, and might even have a batch fermenting themselves. I'll send a message to grainfather support as I'm sure the heating band runs around the entire fermenter and isn't isolated to just one spot.

J

themadhippy

Post by themadhippy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:05 pm

without any loses a 30 watt heater is going to take around 3 hours to raise 24 liters of water by 3c,however
Sure, its cold in my garage, about 9C
so your going to be loosing a far bit trying to also heat up the surrounding air.
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:28 pm

wrap a blanket round it, if you've nothing more suitable?

Or make a jacket using a foil backed camping mat (about £5 in major supermarkets).

This one is especially cheap: https://www.therange.co.uk/leisure/camp ... at/#340299
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Jase
Steady Drinker

Post by Jase » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:04 pm

Thanks, yes I've popped a blanket around it for now. I've got some aluminium-ised bubble wrap that is pretty good, so I'll create a better fitting jacket using that, this evening.

So it turns out there is a chart in the back of the manual that has an approximate heating guide (link). This shows, very approximately, it should take around 6 hours to go from 12.6C to 18.7C, when the ambient temperature is 10C. I didn't know that was in the back of the manual, but that's pretty much in alignment with what @themadhippy said.

I've re-seated all the connections and nothing has changed, so I am sure there is some kind of fault. I'm in touch with grainfather support. It just means my fermentation temperature is a spot on the low side for what I was originally intending, 17.5C-18C instead of 20C.

J

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:30 pm

I use a combination of the GF neoprene jacket + the full GF insulated jacket. The FV is in the non heated brew room. This time of year the temps can dip to 3 or 4c. The cooler part isnt needed at all. As for the heater I have noticed its on more often that not but dont really have any data to back that one up or how long it takes to warm from a cold temp to a FV temp. I tend to where possible regulate the temp from the boiler to the FV to get near enough pitch temp and so far both during the Winter and Summers haven't had a problem. The ideal situation for me would be really to bring the FV into the house but that is never going to happen :(

Forgot to mention the biggest dislike of the original GFFV was the bloody stupid clip on /magnetic controllers, as soon as they released the new screw on controllers I upgraded.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:02 pm

I have a fermentation in stainless outside.
I have a standard heat belt on it. And lots of insulation. With an inkbird. Maintaining 20c nicely.

GF support are good. Is the unit still in warranty?