Temporary hose and tap ...

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Temporary hose and tap ...

Post by aamcle » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:29 pm

Evening All.

I'm getting older and beside that I'm not supposed to lift so carrying water from the house to the garage is slowly becoming an issue. Although I suppose I could move 5-10 litres at a time but that would just be frustrating.
When brewing I have the garage set up with hoists and a trolley to keep lifting to a minimum so thats not much of an issue.

I have thought that I might use a foodgrage hose, inline water filter and a tap to fill vessels in the garage so I'm not carrying them.

If you have any experience of using a temporary hose would you please share you experiences.

How do you store the hose do you try to drain it dry?

Many Thanks. Aamcle

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Temporary hose and tap ...

Post by vacant » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:37 pm

I wonder if a 40 ltr Aquaroll would solve the problem. To empty it either a pump or hoist it (on a platform as I don't think the handle is meant to take that much weight).

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:13 pm

That's a good idea but there are steps which are a right nuisance especially so as I have an Aqua roll :( I hadn't even thought of using it... I should have...

Aamcle

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:53 pm

I use a hose to fill my vessels. Just make sure you get a potable water (blue) hose.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:38 am

I use garden hose. Drains well when rolling away, flush well before using. Never been a problem.

They don't have a massive record for killing plants and this stuff is going to be boiled!

Hozelock 2485P0000 Auto Reel with 10m hose https://amzn.eu/d/f6GtYNo
Last edited by MashBag on Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Mashman » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:42 am

I have blue water main pipe buried underground. The brewshed end terminates in a tap with a hose connector. This enables me to fit a hose for rinsing things out on the deck or a short hose to fill the BM or connect the immersion chiller. The other end comes out of the ground about 6 inches. I connect this to an outside tap with a short piece of food safe hose. It is capped of when not in use. I rinse through everytime I brew, never had a problem in ten years or so. I installed the hose when laying the underground electric cable.
I understand the lifting issue, I am in the same situation and am looking into a hoist for lifting the grain tube from the BM. Next will come some form of pump to avoid lifting fermenters into the fridge. I moved from a chest freezer to a fridge for dispense as it was becoming a struggle to lift the cornies into it. May end up using just bottles.
Getting old is wonderful.....

M
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:49 am

Thanks All.

I fill my fermenter on an admittedly crude trolley that I built to a height that enables me to simply push the fermenter onto the fridges shelf or to pull it from the fridge onto the trolly.

Aamcle

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:27 am

Mashman wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:42 am

Next will come some form of pump to avoid lifting fermenters into the fridge. I moved from a chest freezer to a fridge for dispense as it was becoming a struggle to lift the cornies into it. May end up using just bottles.
Getting old is wonderful.....

M
Fermentation in the BM. Really. No lifting required.

After fermentation bottle straight from the BM. Much easier.

I have a plan for a 3 leg hoist that sits on/over the BM20..

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:36 am

MashBag wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:38 am
I use garden hose. Drains when rolling away, flush well before using. Never been a problem.

They don't have a massive record for killing plants and this stuff is going to be boiled!

Hozelock 2485P0000 Auto Reel with 10m hose https://amzn.eu/d/f6GtYNo
I have been using Hozelock retractable + other hose from my water but for cooling for over eight years with no issues,
as Mashbag say's you are going to boil it anyway.
Far too much cleaning paranoia in this brewing game I find sometimes.
Falling apart together nicley🍻

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:41 pm

I have seen some brewers complain of an off flavour taste from some hoses, I think that is why food grade hose is usually recommended.
Using a garden hose for purely brewing versus using one that has usually has garden tap water sat in it in the sun for days at a time probably isn’t really equal either; the latter has been shown to be a breeding ground for disease (including eg legionnaires), boiling might kill it but it might not get rid of an off flavour already present; think of how a kettle sour doesn’t suddenly become non-sour when boiling it.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:40 am

Very good points.

Can I reiterate:
Drain well and flush well.
Whatever grade the hose is.
Food grade is not safety net, that means you can be complacent.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:48 am

The risk is usually water left sitting in the hose. I would always recommend running the hose for a minute before using it to flush out any yucky water that might have picked up a plastic or rubber taint.

For years I used a decent quality garden hose without issue, just flushing it through before use, and didn't get any plastic off flavour in the beer.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:01 am

It's the drain n dry that is a an issue, I am concerned about potential for things to grow in the hose. My usual cleaning procedure, is clean it, dry it, store it, clean it and use it I'm fussy about the dry it stage.

However I do have a short hose that I use when caravaning obviously even after draining its never completly dry inside. So far I've had no problems but a hose that had to reach the garage would have to be much longer.

I'll get a hose and try.

Aamcle

nickjdavis
Steady Drinker

Post by nickjdavis » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:24 am

I use a garden hose on a reel....have done for 8 years now. Yes I run it for 30 seconds before drawing off any water that might go in a brew but other than that don't take any specific measures other than lobbing a campden tablet in it.

Our garden hoses are in very regular use so it is rare that water lies around in them for any length of time.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:47 pm

aamcle wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:01 am
It's the drain n dry that is a an issue, I am concerned about potential for things to grow in the hose. My usual cleaning procedure, is clean it, dry it, store it, clean it and use it I'm fussy about the dry it stage.

However I do have a short hose that I use when caravaning obviously even after draining its never completly dry inside. So far I've had no problems but a hose that had to reach the garage would have to be much longer.

I'll get a hose and try.

Aamcle
Get one on a reel. Not any longer than needed. Mount it at a comfortable height to wind up.
As you slowly wind it will drain.
Then remove short bit to the tap and drain. Sorted.

Sanitisation.
Attach one end to a small pond pump in a bucket of water, (drawn from tap) Add a couple of drops of blue food colour and a couple of campden tablets. Other hose end returns to bucket. Pump for 10 mins. Submerge all fittings.
This would circulate the solution around the entire length of the hose while still on reel.

Then unwind, flush (until blue gone) and use.

In my opinion this is OTT but it will satisfy your sanitary concerns.
Last edited by MashBag on Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.