Beer stone remover

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
MashBag
Even further under the Table

Beer stone remover

Post by MashBag » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:10 pm

Beer stone is mainly calcium oxalate similar to milk stone (a dairy embuggerance). Beer stone remover seems expensive.

Has anyone ever tried milkstone remover? Typically methanosulphoinc acid.

https://www.fanevalleystores.com/catego ... ne-Remover

guypettigrew

Re: Beer stone remover

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:45 pm

Do you have a problem with beerstone deposits? If so, where?

Guy

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:09 pm

I used EDTA with a bit of caustic soda and it worked brilliantly on plastic. Now my kit is stainless and if it's been on for a few days, it's not only difficult to remove with the former, it builds an increasingly thick deposit.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:42 pm

I've found spraying my stainless stuff with x4 strength Starsan (or similar) immediately after use stops beerstone forming.

Guy

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:00 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:42 pm
I've found spraying my stainless stuff with x4 strength Starsan (or similar) immediately after use stops beerstone forming.

Guy
Yes, I've been using peracetic acid in a similar way, but it does need to used as soon as the beer has been transferred, else it doesn't care to shift. EDTA and caustic worked on plastic regardless of delay.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:47 am

Eric wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:09 pm
I used EDTA with a bit of caustic soda and it worked brilliantly on plastic......
EDTA results on Google include...

"Calcium disodium EDTA is a chemical compound that can trap and remove heavy metals, both from your body and from things like food, paper, shampoo and cosmetics."

Is that what you meant?

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:53 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:45 pm

Guy
Not big deposits, but occasionally cloudy bottles, when they dry. Ditto dry stainless occasionally looks cloudy.

Caustic TFR will see it off with a brush, but wondered if this would work as a non scrub. Might also be nice to deep clean or use as a soak.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:44 am

MashBag wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:47 am
Eric wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:09 pm
I used EDTA with a bit of caustic soda and it worked brilliantly on plastic......
EDTA results on Google include...

"Calcium disodium EDTA is a chemical compound that can trap and remove heavy metals, both from your body and from things like food, paper, shampoo and cosmetics."

Is that what you meant?
Basically no. I used Bing to search EDTA and was astounded by what was returned. It got the right stuff, but nearly all results were from medical science rather than chemical. Possibly binding of calcium with iron might be the reason I find it doesn't work on stainless as well as it did on plastic. I began using it when plastic vessels were more the norm than they currently are, but believed it would work on all surfaces.

EDTA has good calcium dissolving and sequestering powers, and I understood the caustic component simply raised pH to a more effective region. I would mix a spoon or two of EDTA into a few hundred ml of water and add a little caustic soda, then add it to the FV. The vessel was tipped so the solution covered the full height of the beerstone, then slowly rotated, whereupon the beerstone dissolved, leaving a perfectly shiny surface. The mixture would colour with dissolved beerstone and could need replacing to finish the job, but there was never any doubt about the effect.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:32 am

What is EDTA?

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:50 am

MashBag wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:32 am
What is EDTA?
EDTA; Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid.

When I worked in pathology many years ago we used it to remove calcium from bones without disrupting the basic structure. This allowed us to slice it very thinly (4 microns) so the cells could be seen.

Here's a Google link.

Guy

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:19 am

Thanks Guy

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:38 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:45 pm

Guy
Unfortunately not in the kettle, that would be easier. I have 12 crate system and recycle all my bottles. I have have done for years. Some bottles and some beers can be in the system a while. Occasionally after draining, I get a cloudy one, which needs some good bottle brush action and TFR.. Wondered if there is a soaker.

Think it has something to do with being in a hard water area.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:13 am

How would I know if I have Beerstone forming? Where is it usually "seen"? I've heard of it, but don't know much about it.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Nitro Jim
Piss Artist

Post by Nitro Jim » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:45 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:13 am
How would I know if I have Beerstone forming? Where is it usually "seen"? I've heard of it, but don't know much about it.
I get some on my plastic fermenting buckets. It shows itself as a dirty brown mark which is pretty hard to remove. Whilst unsightly it doesn't appear to affect the final product... I just clean and sterilise the same as always.
Beer is my drug of choice.
I don't need anger management classes, I need people to stop pissing me off.

No beer, no fun - know beer, know FUN!

Carrots may be good for your eyes but alcohol is better as it gives you double vision!

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:42 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:13 am
Beerstone is calcium oxalate. Oxalate exist in many edible plants that will in the liver combine with calcium to produce an insoluble compound that is disposed of in the gall bladder. There, in excess, it can obstruct the duct leading to the intestine with painful results, commonly known as gallstones.

Barley, wheat, maize amongst other beer ingredients contain oxalates that may be released in the mash. There, some will combine with calcium and remain, others will deposit in hot break after the boil and those that reach the fermentation vessel will mostly attach themselves there as a white deposit during their several day stay.

There was a belief in breweries that used Yorkshire Squares made from slate that beerstone both speeded and improved fermentation. Allowed to dry, it is hard to remove, and becomes harder again if allowed to build up over consecutive fermentations.