Controlling the flow from a solar pump

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Wet Spaniel
Steady Drinker

Controlling the flow from a solar pump

Post by Wet Spaniel » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:01 am

After a couple of sparging hiccups with a gravity fed HLT I’ve decided to lower the HLT and use a pump. Is it possible to control the water flow from a 12v solar type pump with a ball valve?

clarets7
Piss Artist

Re: Controlling the flow from a solar pump

Post by clarets7 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:41 am

If it's the small tan one that is used for irrigation then yes, that is the recommended way to control flow.
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:20 pm

I power mine with a tattoo gun power supply , you can to a certain extent slow the flow with that . If you could get it at a slow enough flow for your particular set up is another matter .
Mine these days is just used to pump liquor from my HLT to the GF , not used my 3V system for about 6 years .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:38 pm

It works for any "open" impeller type pump (be it magnetically coupled, recommended, or direct drive). If you've a "closed" impeller, you'll know about it (they're much more expensive, always direct drive, and continue pumping if the outlet is restricted until something gives in). Control the outflow from the pump, not the inflow or it won't work very well (if at all).

Increasing the restriction on the outflow has exactly the same effect as increasing the height you are pumping to.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Post by Good Ed » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:27 pm

Just get a ac/dc adapter that has a variable dc setting and this way you can control the speed of the pump and the flow. I got one years ago from Asda.

Wet Spaniel
Steady Drinker

Post by Wet Spaniel » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:13 am

Thanks for the responses all. I’ve got one on order now -cheers!