iSpindel angle drifting in pure water

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
ozroger
Steady Drinker

iSpindel angle drifting in pure water

Post by ozroger » Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:23 am

I have two iSpindels, both updated with the 7.2.1 firmware.

One of them was giving erratic readings mid-brew, so I suspected a dodgy gyro/accelerometer. I got a new one from a respected local supplier, soldered it in and re-calibrated it.

They are both now floating in fresh rainwater and over the last three days, one is rock steady with a reported SG varying by about half a point (depending on the daily fluctuations in the water temperature), while the other one (with the replacement gyro) is slowly but steadily drifting down.

Immediately after calibration, it reported 1.002 (strange because the water was from the same source as when I entered the 1.000 angle into the calibration software). Anyway, after three days the reading is now down to .996 and still falling.

Aha, I thought, there must be a leak in the petling, causing it to sit more vertically. But no, no water inside.

So what's going on here? I am aware that they're only an indication of SG, which is why I got them, to monitor the fermentation progress without having to take samples all the time. But this faulty one is drifting so much that I feel I cannot trust it to even let me know when fermentation's finished.

So what's likely causing the one to behave so differently from the other? Anyone have any ideas?

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Re: iSpindel angle drifting in pure water

Post by ozroger » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:40 am

Just had a thought about the above issue. Most electronics have voltage regulators to provide the circuitry with a steady voltage. So I'm surmising that a dodgy or non-existent regulator could give rise to strange readings as the battery voltage decreases with time.

I'll experiment with this theory and report back. Stay tuned...

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:50 am

Hi Roger
I once had an equivalent to the Ispindle and it was a PITA. Along with this "must have" I have tried most of the gizmo's that have been foisted on us over the past years. Nowdays I find that by lifting the lid and having a look,aided by a calender, I get a pretty good idea of the state of the fermentation. I have two Braumeisters the smaller 20 came with a WIFI module which I gave away because I could not fathom why it was necessary to receive information on my phone while I was standing next to the BM in the brewery.
Happy brewing
Ian
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:31 am

IPA wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:50 am
Hi Roger
Nowadays I find that by lifting the lid and having a look, aided by a calendar, I get a pretty good idea of the state of the fermentation.
Ian
Completely with Ian on this.

I used to have a 'Tilt'. It always got covered with yeast during fermentation and gave wrong readings.

Watching the rate of bubbles through the blow off tube, combined with dropping a hydrometer in when I reckon the beer is about there, tell me all I need to know.

Guy

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:11 pm

Thanks Ian & Guy, and apart from being a bit of a gadget nut, I concur,

My fermenters are the Coopers ones with the removable Krausen collar (no airlock) and clear enough to permit a good view of the proceedings. So you can clearly see when fermentation gets going, by the Krausen forming, also the turbulence in the beer itself.

What's interesting to see is the temperature rise when the fermentation's at the vigorous stage, even though the FV is in a temp controlled fridge (ex-wine storage cabinet, so doesn't have the ability to effect any sort of rapid cooling).

So it's an interesting addition to the brew gear, but absolutely non-essential as you say. So I'll stick with the white one and ditch the green one. (the green one, with a freshly charged battery, was down to .994 last time I checked it!)

Cheers, Roger
Brewspy progress #54.jpg
Brewspy progress #54.jpg (58.02 KiB) Viewed 2820 times

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:48 am

Update on the green one:

I bought the necessary bits and assembled a new one on a Jeffrey v2.69 PCB, and after calibration, it's been rock steady in fresh water for days. (Still the same petling though...)

I do prefer the Jeffrey PCB for ease of setting up close to the initial 25 degrees. The solder pads at the bottom make it so easy, compared with the CherryPhilip version which seemed to settle around 22 degrees and required the main PCB to be raised up from the bottom of the petling to get ~25 degrees.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:44 am

👍👍Nicely thought through the. Pleased you got it sorted. I too like a good gadget and improving the process where I can. But these leave me wondering what problem they are solving, can't help thinking opening the lid can't be bettered.

Big_Eight
Steady Drinker

Post by Big_Eight » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:50 am

MashBag wrote:ImageImageNicely thought through the. Pleased you got it sorted. I too like a good gadget and improving the process where I can. But these leave me wondering what problem they are solving, can't help thinking opening the lid can't be bettered.
I use an Ispindel and a Tilt (both if I have more than one going). They give me temperature and I can see when my gravity has stabilized (at/near FG) without taking a bunch of samples. Then I can confirm with my analog hydrometer.

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:10 am

Yeah - same here. Taking regular samples via the bottom tap leaves a beery/worty residue inside the tap (outside of the seal) which I used to go to great pains to thoroughly wipe clean and sanitise before inserting the bottling spigot tube (hope that's clear?!) I was aware that anything growing inside the tap housing for a few days could well be distributed into each and every bottle.

Now, with the iSpindel showing that fermentation has been all done for four or five days, I get the bottles ready, take a normal SG reading to be sure, to be sure, quick spray of the tap with Starsan, and Bob's yer uncle!

Besides which, my ex-work colleagues didn't call me "the phantom fiddler" for nothing!

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:13 am

"phantom fiddler" lol. Doesn't make it wrong. There is no one way.

I don't take samples. I know when it's done. This sort of falls into the same category as Eric's yeast.

If I need to cross check my nose - I taste, so ime these things are a good training device and then get left on the self, with titration glassware, vaccuum fillers, sulphite probes etc. Even some thermometers, as my fingets are accurate to 3-4c.

They are also good if you enjoy brewing math. I never have found it necessary.

Big_Eight
Steady Drinker

Post by Big_Eight » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:21 am

MashBag wrote:"phantom fiddler" . There is no one way.

I don't take samples. I know when it's done. This sort of falls into the same category as Eric's yeast.

If I need to cross check my nose - I taste, so ime these things are a good training device and then get left on the self, with titration glassware, vaccuum fillers, sulphite probes etc. Even some thermometers, as my fingets are accurate to 3-4c.

They are also good if you enjoy brewing math. I never have found it necessary.
Lol ok... You do you whatever makes one happy they should do after all this is a hobby.

Some people like the technical side of things.

Brew on my friend.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:32 am

Cheers indeed.

I have for a while thought people come to this hobby for different reasons. Beer is the product but not necessarily the reason they do it.