Mash Tun Filter

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Mash Tun Filter

Post by trucker5774 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:46 pm

I've used the same filter for years without a problem. It's an upturned plastic plate with holes drilled in it. Recently the malt seems to have been finer and blocked the last 3 brews. The filter is now broken anyway.

Cutting to the point, it's a converted cool box and I will continue to use it. What are you using, if you have a similar vessel? Thinking of a false bottom of some kind of mesh, but not as fine as a household sieve.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Re: Mash Tun Filter

Post by Trefoyl » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:55 pm

I have a stainless false bottom in my Igloo cooler, but I think the round coolers are hard to find in the UK?
Mine has holes but now you can get slotted ones which should be better. I use a BIAB bag in the mash tun which works extremely well.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:45 pm

Put a BIAB bag in the tun on top of your perforated plate. Makes it easier to clean out as well.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:43 am

Trefoyl wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:55 pm
I have a stainless false bottom in my Igloo cooler, but I think the round coolers are hard to find in the UK?
Mine has holes but now you can get slotted ones which should be better. I use a BIAB bag in the mash tun which works extremely well.
Sounds like an option.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:45 am

drjim wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:45 pm
Put a BIAB bag in the tun on top of your perforated plate. Makes it easier to clean out as well.
Might give it a go. I need to build a new filter anyway, but at least I can squeeze the bag!
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............