Is it worth it?

A forum for those who boldy recirculate where no man has. .... you know the rest
lord.president
Hollow Legs

Is it worth it?

Post by lord.president » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:25 pm

Hi all, I'm planning o upgrading from my cooler box to RIMS/HERMS. The question I would like to ask,is,is it worth it? I'm presuming consistency is the main objective,here.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

clarets7

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by clarets7 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:23 am

I've been wondering the same thing. I've tried one or two things and have the equipment to do it, but not actually put it all together properly yet, because of that one question, is it worth it?

I'm sure some of the RIMS and HERMS users on here can give us a quick summary of why they went down this route? What are the advantages over a normal mash?

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:51 pm

Well I'm just to go down the herms route, Not really sure how I came to this path,(herms)
But it seems logical i.e.
That the wort is not in direct heating, also direct control of mash temp, and raise it to what ever suits you.
The only down side I can see is thin tasting beer, but I think if it's done right, ie to your tastes, then what's wrong with herms, it's just more exspnsive setup,

But who cares how you make good beer, just make it, :mrgreen:
To Busy To Add,

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:10 am

Trying to work it out still. Have bought a pump and have the electrics etc (model railway controller and 12v pump). Not convinced the pump won't get blocked by debris from mash...so bought some fine mesh. Next thing is design work for a filter and possible heater for the exchange between the run and the pump, back to the pump...if you follow me. Had a few. Hope that makes sense!

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:47 am

I had great fun knocking up a basic herms coil in a 7pint container and plumping it up with a solar pump and pid to control the power, thing is my cold box tun didnt drop any significant temperature and no brews ive tackled needed a stepped mash or any different temp rests, so beyond its inaugural test run its never been used,

it did aid the liquor clarity, something ive never had great success with, all the books suggest jugging back 1-3l of beer before the sparge drain, me i can jug back 10l sometimes more, no bits but no clarity in the liquor either..

At the end of the day its your brewkit and if U want a herms/rims facility You GO FOR IT :) it will be both something else quite complex to go wrong and need a post brew clean too tho ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

jceg316

Post by jceg316 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:54 pm

I'm thinking of going HERMS, I have almost everything (but pump) but am doing my research before I start hacking away at my vessels.
The only down side I can see is thin tasting beer, but I think if it's done right, ie to your tastes, then what's wrong with herms, it's just more exspnsive setup,
Why would a HERMS setup cause thin tasting beer? I've not heard that before.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:43 pm

Hi all

I'm also thinking about going HERMS or RIMS. It would be helpful if someone who has already gone along that route could say whether they think it was worthwhile, and why.

My coolbox tun keeps the mash temperature within 1C, so no problem there. What I'm wondering is whether the efficiency is greater with a recirculating system, and whether the finished beer is any better.

The real attraction, of course, is the chance to buy lots of nice new bits, some of which would be shiny! A new SS tun with Blichmann auto sparge, a RIMS thingy to put a heating element in, a PID and lots more tubing!

But if the end result isn't much different from my standard coolbox and fly sparging method then spending the money on malt and hops would seem the better option.

Guy

boingy

Post by boingy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:29 pm

Pros:
- more control over temperature
- stepped mashes easier

Cons:
- more expense
- more complexity
- more stuff to leak/break/fail
- more to clean

Ya makes ya choice....

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks, boingy.

Probably not worth bothering with, then. My temperature control is good, and I've never done a stepped mash.

Guy

boingy

Post by boingy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:01 pm

Actually, I've thought of another pro:
- it's something to construct, fiddle and generally play with.

That one alone is enough for many blokes to go for it :D

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:07 am

Absolutely!

I think I'll start with a new shiny mash tun from Hop and Grape with a Blichmann autosparge arm but without recirculating.

Once I'm used to it I'll think about going RIMS or HERMS.

No point in having all the fun in one go!

Guy