What's a good HERMS pump?

A forum for those who boldy recirculate where no man has. .... you know the rest
jceg316

What's a good HERMS pump?

Post by jceg316 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:24 pm

Hello,

I'm thinking of turning my system into a basic HERMS. I have everything apart from a pump but not sure what I need to look for in a pump. What sort of headroom, power etc.

Thanks.

Lockwood16

Re: What's a good HERMS pump?

Post by Lockwood16 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi, I have recently converted my system to a HERMS, and have just brewed a couple of beers with it, one being a lager for a relative and it was great for step mashing.

To try to answer your question, I guess it may depend on the quantity of beer you are making, a larger pump may be more suited to pumping larger quantities, height differential of your system etc. I only brew small batches at present, ie 20 pints, as I am still experimenting with recipes, yeasts, mash profiles, etc etc, and if I make a poor batch (not yet, mind!) it takes less time to get through it!!

I bought the magnetic pumps from Angel home brew, Paul was great, good customer service when I had to upgrade pumps.
http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/17-pumps

They work a treat, just ensure you have a sufficient 12V Dc power supply, I did not use the plug in type power supplies on his website as I built a panel with PID controllers to control the HERMS kettle element. I did have problems with stuck mash on my first brew, but sorted that with a couple of stainless steel filters I made to fit inside the coolbox mash tun, and a small strip of the same mesh fitted inside the hose fitting to the pump. All my plumbing is close proximy between HERMS and coolbox. I went for the slightly larger pump Type 2, after originally trying out the Type 1 which has a smaller bore. It blocked too easily, prior to my modifications to my coolbox.

I hope this helps,

Beset regards,

Lockwood16

jceg316

Post by jceg316 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:07 am

Thanks for your reply. I found an ebay seller who has pumps which are food grade. He says he has a 200litre brewery and uses this pump to transfer wort, and it should be fine for HERMS.

Your setup sounds interesting, do you have photos online anywhere?

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:44 am

Would recommend Chugger pumps. They are dear but every one who has them never regrets buying them.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Lockwood16

Post by Lockwood16 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:25 pm

HI jceg316, no I don't have any photo's online.
I am more than happy though, to share whatever information you may need to assist your build. The HERMS panel is standalone from the other control panel, which houses a PID controller to control the boiler elements, and a STC1000 to control the fermentation fridge. I did not have the foresight then to incorporate the HERMS system into my original control panel. You tend to want to improve things as you go on. I never intended to end up cultivation yeast slants, treating the water etc etc. It's just that you want to make the best beer possible and this what a number of people end up doing, and actually enjoying the challenge!

Best regards,
Lockwood16

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:23 pm

I've used both the type 3 (TS5) and the type 4 (TD5) from here and quite frankly the type 4 are way better and worth twice the money. Both need priming so it's worth getting a couple of bleed valves to help but once you get over that they are a dream to use and can be throttled back to a trickle with no harm, didn't find you could get away with that with the type 3.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Oggy' Bar
Hollow Legs

Post by Oggy' Bar » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:37 pm

I use air operated Flojet pumps. I have been using the same 2 pumps for 7 years and never had a problem with them. I can regulate the flow infinitely. See my old posts for more info.