Electrical question for my rims control panel

A forum for those who boldy recirculate where no man has. .... you know the rest
Cxp073

Electrical question for my rims control panel

Post by Cxp073 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:49 pm

Hello everyone

I am making a basic rims control panel tomorrow and need some help. It is going to use a sestos PID, PT100 probe, and a 40amp SSR.

I was thinking about adding a large neon indicator light on the panel to indicate when the element is on (a 3kw element). If I wanted to do this, do I just connect it across the live and neutral wires after the relay but before the element?

Thanks!

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Electrical question for my rims control panel

Post by Wonkydonkey » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:36 pm

I went for a amp metre, then I could see what power was being used, I think the SSR switches on and off very quickly when it gets near to temp. I don't if your light will like being switched on/off

I'm sure someone will come along soon, and tell you the way they have done it.

Wonky 8)
To Busy To Add,

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:53 pm

I don't if your light will like being switched on/off
neons are always being switched on and off rather rapidly.about 100 times every second in the uk and still manage to have a rather long life, the biggest hassle with neons and ssrs is bleed current,so the neon may glow even when the pid is saying its off.as for wiring them in ,there just connected at the same point as the element,so live in on one side of the ssr,the other terminal of the ssr is the live to the element and neon and the neutral goes straight to the other side of the element and neon
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Cxp073

Post by Cxp073 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:38 pm

Thanks hippy - I never though of the frequency (on/off) so have decided to eliminate the light. It's a very basic system I am designing so I don't think it's needed.

I'll post pics when in done - just spent a fortune on random stuff at maplins is hopefully I will have it finished this weekend!

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:33 pm

just spent a fortune on random stuff at maplins
ARGH ,there ok in extreme emergency’s but bloody expensive,unlike when they first started as mail order only even there first shops were good, now there a joke mostly staffed by people who aint got a clue and try and sell you the most expensive option . I tend to use cpc for non urgent stuff ,free p+p for orders over a tenner and a massive range of goodies to tempt you.
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:24 pm

I used an 24VDC LED in parallel across the control output of the controller on my old rig. So it illuminated when the controller called for heat.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:30 pm

fwiw i fitted a neon on the ssr output using a sestos pid and fortek ssr, the lil bleeder was flickering all the time when off, and i then noticed the 'on' red led on the sestos box itself DOH!!!!
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(