Brewbuilder RIMS issue

A forum for those who boldy recirculate where no man has. .... you know the rest
mosquat
Piss Artist

Brewbuilder RIMS issue

Post by mosquat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:30 am

Hi all,

Finally at the point of testing my RIMS setup after a few weeks gathering bits and pieces etc...first issue is that it leaks from the bottom and I don't seem to be able to tighten it enough to stop the leak entirely.

I have chucked in a picture to help explain my present problem...
R_Le.jpg
area of leak
So the "Adjustable nut" as I've called it screws down onto the silicone gasket/washer revealing a small amount of thread for the 1" TC fitting to then screw onto - I can screw it on maybe a quarter turn before it feels like anymore and something will break (not sure if this is usual?). The quarter turn is not enough to make contact properly with the "adjustable nut" and therefore water leaks.

I then tried to screw the nut in the opposite direction so that a better seal was made with the TC fitting but the silicone gasket/washer is then not compressed - again perhaps this isn't necessary.

The water leak was reduced to an infrequent drip but this is not really acceptable for hot wort :)

I'm sure that others out there with the BrewBuilder RIMS kit will be able to tell me if they had similar issues...perhaps I have set this up completely wrong? Maybe my 1" TC adapter has a problem with the thread which means I can't screw it on easily?

Any help appreciated...

Thanks in advance

Carl

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Brewbuilder RIMS issue

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:24 am

I just screw the screw on Tri clamp fitting directly onto the element thread using some PFTE tape to ensure a seal and have no leaks. The back nut I just keep in my spares box.

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:04 pm

Thanks for the reply - I will try that tonight, I've got a feeling that my TC fitting has an issue as I mentioned it really doesn't want to screw on more than a quarter turn.

Did you find yours screwed on nice and easily?

thanks again

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Brewbuilder RIMS issue

Post by Coffeeuk » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:08 pm

Rhodesy wrote:I just screw the screw on Tri clamp fitting directly onto the element thread using some PFTE tape to ensure a seal and have no leaks. The back nut I just keep in my spares box.
+1 This is exactly how I have mine set up and and have no leaks at all.

I'll take some pictures tonight if you want ?

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:56 pm

mosquat wrote:Thanks for the reply - I will try that tonight, I've got a feeling that my TC fitting has an issue as I mentioned it really doesn't want to screw on more than a quarter turn.

Did you find yours screwed on nice and easily?

thanks again
It wasn't very easy but I found that the right amount of PFTE i.e. not too much allowed it to go on and leak free.

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:17 pm

thanks for the info - I will get on this again when I get home and hopefully will be able to start tuning my PID

@CoffeeUk - pics would be great...I did actually check your recent brewday pics to be honest as I knew your tube was on show there...and also in another post that I created about pipe clamps...however I couldn't quite see what I needed :)

thanks again for taking the time

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:42 pm

No worries, I'll do it tonight when I get in.

What did you use to cut the hole through the top of your thermopot ? I'm guessing a 21mm hole saw of some kind. I've got the parts I need, just need to buy something to make the hole.

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:51 pm

Here's a pic of the crud on the element after a mash, it's not very clear and I'll get better one tonight, but you can just see the 1" tri clamp screwed directly into the element threads.

BTW here's a picture after a quick wipe, the elements clean up really easily. I'm so impressed I've just bought another for my brew kettle.

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:07 pm

cheers for that - I actually drove my mash tun to Mark's (Brewbuilders) workshop and paid him to do it...at the time I didn't even own a drill and wouldn't trust myself putting up some shelves let alone drilling into an expensive MT...

He used a holesaw, might've been 22mm but I not totally 100% on that. I'm sure if you asked him via email he would be more than happy to let you know. Also Paul from Angel Homebrew is generous with his info around this....I asked them both about drilling holes before persuading Mark to help me out :)

The elements are very good indeed....in just a few seconds the thing is amazingly hot, again if I had more confidence with a drill I would likely replace or add to my existing 2.4kw elements too

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:16 pm

You can't replace because the holes are a different size. (Existing one is bigger) What I've done is I had a HLT with 1 element which took two hours to get to temp and a boiler with 2 elements. So I swapped them, now the HLT has 2 elements for speed and the boiler has a 2.4 kettle element and a 3kw stainless element. I'm hoping this will speed up the brewday a bit.

Thanks for the info about the hole, I'll order a 21mm hole saw as that's what size qmax I use for normal pots.

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:35 pm

so what did you use to add your 3kw? i.e. how did you get a nice hole in your boiler for it?

HLT is fine for me with a 2.4 as I set it to come on at 3.30am and then start to brew around 4.30am (I have kids so have to get the hours in somewhere!)

but getting up to boil could be reduced, adding a 3kw would help no doubt...to speed mine up at the mo I turn on the element as soon as the wort covers it - pretty sure you know this already..

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:58 pm

I've got a 34mm qmax hole punch. Not done it yet, I'm planning to do it on Friday.

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:41 pm

good luck with that mate, will be interesting to see how it goes

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Pics as promised. As you can see it doesn't screw fully in.

Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on.

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:51 pm

Thats brilliant cheers for that. Spent last hour and a half struggling with it. I think something is wrong as my fitting goes down nowhere near that...pic to follow