Brewbuilder RIMS issue

A forum for those who boldy recirculate where no man has. .... you know the rest
mosquat
Piss Artist

Re: Brewbuilder RIMS issue

Post by mosquat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:53 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1445460770960.jpg

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Thats absoluetely as much as i can hand tighten it. Its the same with or without PTFE tape. Will contact Mr Lard

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Brewbuilder RIMS issue

Post by Coffeeuk » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:30 pm

Not good.

One tip, if you join together the fitting with a clamp, it allows you to get a good hold, allowing you to screw it in tighter.

Have you looked at the threads and checked for damage ?

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:44 pm

Yea I went down that route too but it felt like something was going to break under the pressure...I cant see any damage but the adjustable nut screes on easily so the issue is more likely with the element fitting. How hard did you have to turn yours? Are we talking proper swearingly hard to get on? If so I can have another try but it really feels like something else will break. It just doesnt feel right

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:21 pm

Pretty sure something isnt right, returned for one last go using the pipe n clamp for leverage and it just pops off the thread now when I turn it past a quarter turn or so..

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:53 am

Mine hardly took any screwing in. Sounds like there's a problem somewhere with yours.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:35 am

mosquat wrote:thanks for the info - I will get on this again when I get home and hopefully will be able to start tuning my PID
I too have a Lard RIMS set up and there does appear to be something wrong with yours as mine nips up without PTFE and doesn't leak.

When yo do come to tuning the PID I strongly recommend you do a "proper" mash using just pale malt, it is tempting to use just water but this is not what you are going to be asking the PID to do. A few kilos of malt is nothing, getting the tuning right is.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:47 am

I followed this guys guide when setting up my sestos and had no problems.

http://grizzlybearloveskolsch.com/setup ... s-brewing/

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:28 am

Cheers great info as always and I found that grizzley post too. Did either of you have same issues with the 3kw element that he mentions and solves with the help of this forum??

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:06 am

mosquat wrote:Cheers great info as always and I found that grizzley post too. Did either of you have same issues with the 3kw element that he mentions and solves with the help of this forum??

I found the same issue with step mashes in that when I wanted to ramp up the temp the element would be doing this too quickly. I think I settled on about 30% power which when tuned in achieves around 1c rise per minute which I am happy with

I found his blog very useful

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:27 am

Yea I thanked the author in the comments as it he wrote a couple of great posts that mustve took some effort

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:27 am

*taken

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:47 am

I think the issues that Grizzly had were not only down to the element being overpowered, but down to the fact that with a mash the flow rate is different to when he auto tuned using just water (As Orlando has already alluded to). Auto tuning works for one set of variables . . . Heater wattage (constant) and flow rate, if you change the flow rate then the PID Values set in autotune are wrong . . .both flow rate and heat input must remain constant at the value you autotuned for it to work properly.

I used the spent mash to auto tune my set up. Simply did a single temp mash, drained and sparged, then once the boil was under way, added back water into the mash tun, and let the PID auto tune at 35C (Why 35C? You'll see). I then ramped up the temp by 10C steps, once auto tune was complete with no issues.

Of course I still think 3KW in a well insulated system is too much for RIMS, I'd be happier with 1 or 1.5KW :D

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:56 am

Aleman wrote:I think the issues that Grizzly had were not only down to the element being overpowered, but down to the fact that with a mash the flow rate is different to when he auto tuned using just water (As Orlando has already alluded to). Auto tuning works for one set of variables . . . Heater wattage (constant) and flow rate, if you change the flow rate then the PID Values set in autotune are wrong . . .both flow rate and heat input must remain constant at the value you autotuned for it to work properly.

I used the spent mash to auto tune my set up. Simply did a single temp mash, drained and sparged, then once the boil was under way, added back water into the mash tun, and let the PID auto tune at 35C (Why 35C? You'll see). I then ramped up the temp by 10C steps, once auto tune was complete with no issues.

Of course I still think 3KW in a well insulated system is too much for RIMS, I'd be happier with 1 or 1.5KW :D
I try to keep the flow rate the same on pump outlet ball valve, it may not be with exact precision but think I have it nailed.

Agree on the power aspect, mines is as good as a 1kw(ish) element now I have restricted the power :)

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:18 pm

Aleman wrote:
Are you saying the "fix" in the PID software is still not good enough and therefore changing or controlling the element directly is a better answer?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer