Just changing brewing method

A forum for those who boldy recirculate where no man has. .... you know the rest
herms bay
Steady Drinker

Just changing brewing method

Post by herms bay » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:25 am

Hi All
Been brewing for a couple of years with Brewzilla and PID Burco 30l custom kettle for sparging. Lots of beers under pressure and normal. Got to the stage where I have my favourites and want to move to HERMS three pot 70/50/70l system so selling all my kit and starting the build. I have the old trusted insulated mash tun for simple brews but could easily do 24l batches as well as 50l. I figure that I hate cleaning up so much its less washes per litre in my eyes...Well, will be looking for tips soon. I'm an engineer so don't mind the control and build side its just the practicalities of CFC which I don't use at the moment etc.

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Just changing brewing method

Post by Jim » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:57 am

Welcome to the forum. :)

That's some serious kit your planning to build!
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

herms bay
Steady Drinker

Post by herms bay » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:18 pm

I am starting a HERMS build and am using a 70/50/70 litre setup with 5500w elements in the HLT and Brew kettle. I am ok with electrics and control and am just seeing if there is any practical LFE out there that would help my Mech build. For instance; how high to put the element from the floor of brew kettle to aid whirlpool, pickup placement and whirlpool type and placement. wort recirculation methods (pipes or manifolds) etc.etc, just want to learn from everyone else's mistakes.😁
All advice before i drill holes greatly appreciated.
Honestly love, I haven't bought any more brewing gear!

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:20 am

My advice would be to buy a 50 litre Braumeister. That would cut out the hard work and enable you to start brewing sooner. Plus it would take up less space.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:21 pm

On the same vein I was thinking "Why are you building HERMS? Am I missing something? "

herms bay
Steady Drinker

Post by herms bay » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:09 pm

IPA wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:20 am
My advice would be to buy a 50 litre Braumeister. That would cut out the hard work and enable you to start brewing sooner. Plus it would take up less space.
This is very helpful and will give it the amount of thought it deserves.
When I ask "if there is any practical LFE out there that would help my Mech build." I didn't need a useless opinion, we all don't have £2.5K. Is this how this forum works?
I would have brewtools if I had the cash.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:13 pm

As this is a useful discussion, I've moved it to the RIMS and HERMS forum to avoid auto-deletion in the 'Introductions' forum.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:27 am

herms bay wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:09 pm
IPA wrote:
When I ask "if there is any practical LFE out there that would help my Mech build." I didn't need a useless opinion, we all don't have £2.5K. Is this how this forum works?
IPA has only given you his best advice, in his opinion.

This forum provides FREE access to experienced (& some professional) brewers. Who give there time freely to offer advice to help people. It doesn't need or deserve "useless" sarcastic comments.

Furthermore it will not prompt others to try and help you, if that is your response when if you don't get the answer you want.

Just sayin'

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:57 am

Looking at herms bay's second post it looks like the shiny stuff has already been bought. I certainly wouldn't want to get rid of all that and start again!

What's an 'LFE', please?

Guy

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:36 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:57 am
Looking at herms bay's second post it looks like the shiny stuff has already been bought. I certainly wouldn't want to get rid of all that and start again!

What's an 'LFE', please?

Guy
https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/LFE
:D Lead Field Engineer??? No idea what they Lead or in what Field? "Engineer" covers a lot of fields.
Perhaps just "Live Fire Excercise" #-o
aka Rhys

herms bay
Steady Drinker

Post by herms bay » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:23 am

MashBag wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:27 am
herms bay wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:09 pm
IPA wrote:
IPA has only given you his best advice, in his opinion.

This forum provides FREE access to experienced (& some professional) brewers. Who give there time freely to offer advice to help people. It doesn't need or deserve "useless" sarcastic comments.

Furthermore it will not prompt others to try and help you, if that is your response when if you don't get the answer you want.

Just sayin'
I was after LFE (learn from experience) so I don't make mistakes that others have made. you could say don't brew beer but buy it, It's cheaper, but that wouldn't help either.
I have been brewing for years, BIAB, Cooler box mash tun, Brewzilla 35l....I wanted to increase size of brew. Don't really want to go proprietary route as tweeks are not easy and you can't always get exactly what you want.
As a control engineer with process background this suits me so lets get past the "don't do HERMS issue" and as i said "All LFE greatly appreciated", I want to stay on topic and not wander off into other issues.
I am asking for advice from the obvious wealth of experience out there as I am already building the kit but haven't drilled holes yet....

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:02 am

Herms Bay, You're a bit vague with regards to the advice you're looking for. I think you need to be more specific. Why not write a list of focused and direct questions and I'm sure you'll get more feedback. Maybe break the lists into HLT, mash tun, boiler, cooling...

herms bay
Steady Drinker

Post by herms bay » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:55 pm

I think i'm almost there, one specific question is whirlpooling spout. If I enter brew kettle with 1/2" port do I want to go to a small spout to get velocity or stay at 19mm and where is best to whirlpool, bottom end middle or top aiming down straight or up??

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:47 am

This with silicone Hose run to base of kettle. Positioned to avoid element.
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... plete-kit/
aka Rhys

nibber
Steady Drinker

Post by nibber » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:49 am

I converted a 15 gallon Ss Brewtech standard kettle to electric operation- i used compression 1.5" tri-clamp adaptors-and also used various Q-max hole punches (small pilot hole required) much easier and less swarf than drilling the complete hole. :-D
Well pleased with the results.
IMG_5904.jpg
IMG_5904.jpg (797.75 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
IMG_5923.jpg
IMG_5923.jpg (383.07 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
IMG_5936.jpg
IMG_5936.jpg (1000.43 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
IMG_5922.jpg
IMG_5922.jpg (783.69 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
Attachments
IMG_5904.jpg
IMG_5904.jpg (797.75 KiB) Viewed 3197 times