Cleaning plastic keg with 2 inch opening

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
mattmacleod

Cleaning plastic keg with 2 inch opening

Post by mattmacleod » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:17 pm

I've borrowed a couple of plastic kegs from a friend because I have brewed for a party and couldn't face bottling 80 bottles just for them all to be opened in one night!

Both barrels are pretty grubby and are currently soaking in oxiclean. But one of the barrels only has a two inch opening - any techniques for giving it a good clean? Unfortunately I don't have a small child handy to clean the barrel for me!

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Re: Cleaning plastic keg with 2 inch opening

Post by Ditch » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:40 pm

mattmacleod wrote:Unfortunately I don't have a small child handy to clean the barrel for me!

They're a complete waste of time too, mate. Tried them. Useless little bastards arms aren't long enough to reach the bottom. Time the arms have grown? So have the stupid hands! :roll:

I'm sure what ever Chris advises will be as good a cleaning agent as ye'll get. I'd just add that I found poking one of these 'MicroPore' cloth's in there, and vigorously shaking the keg about for a few minutes, is also an excellent 'scrubber' and will 'polish' the inside nicely enough to give ye that comforting ring of confidence in a job completely done.

Either way, the cloth will definitely compliment what ever else is in there :wink:

umpa

Post by umpa » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:37 pm

I have a couple of these barrels too and have the same problem :( I try to avoid using them now, but when forced I use my power washer and long soaks in bleach.

oxford brewer
Under the Table

Post by oxford brewer » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:50 pm

I'm with Ditch on this one.I too use a microfibre cloth, which is poked through the hole along with about a litre of hot water and a few spoon fulls of soda crystals,replace the lid and give the barrel a good shake, rattle and roll until it is clean.
Only the fool, in the abundance of water is thirsty!!
The Right Honourable Robert Nesta Marley

Drinking

Fermenting

Conditioning

traymondo

Post by traymondo » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:23 am

umpa wrote:I have a couple of these barrels too and have the same problem :( I try to avoid using them now, but when forced I use my power washer and long soaks in bleach.
Yeah, avoid. 2" top barrels are possibly the worst invention ever. Even if you soak them in the strongest bleach solution for several years, you still can't strip the tap. Suggest you "unborrow" yours asap and get some 4"ers in...