The sanitizing effect of Oxy Clean?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
gobuchul

The sanitizing effect of Oxy Clean?

Post by gobuchul » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:40 am

I use the cheap Oxy Clean from Poundstretcher for cleaning all of my kit.

I find it very effective.

I then rinse with tap water and use a non rinse sanitizer just before use.

The Oxy clean claims that it "kills 99% of all known bacteria".

Now, I know that I really can't achieve much more than sanitised kit and a sterile surface is impossible for all practicable purposes.

I was wondering if Oxy Clean is as effective as something like VWP at sanitizing surfaces, especially if you are rinsing with tap water?

Any opinions?

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: The sanitizing effect of Oxy Clean?

Post by Jocky » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:06 pm

First of all this depends upon whether it's Oxiclean the percarbonate based oxygen bleach, or a detergent that includes said chemical.

I think that Oxiclean will do a good job sanitising, but you do need to rinse at least a couple of times to remove the residue it leaves. From that point of view it may be best just to use it as a cleaner, and use a no rinse sanitiser like starsan for surfaces immediately before use.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: The sanitizing effect of Oxy Clean?

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:38 pm

I hear on a podcast, good sanitation starts with a good cleaning of said items. I think oxi clean is a is a good cleaner, it may well kill 99% of bugs.
there is a small chance that you missed a bit, And if you rinse those said items, tap water is almost safe (99. Whatever %)
You could still have some bugs which may still like your sweet wort and grow in it.

So why not be even more sure and spray with a no rinse like star San, (remember 30sec is all it needs, vwp is longer becuse it kills in a different way, then you still have to rinse)
There's nothing like having a brew day and finding out later, it's destined for the drain. :(

I had a brew day where I split the wort into 2 FV, then found out one got infected, (I think it was where I pitched /cultured the yeast) so only 1/2 a brew wasted. #-o (glug-glug down the drain)

I'm sure your not into wasting beer, but if you cut corners then at some point your beer will go down the drain. If you can pinpoint the infection, then you can be sure of a good next brew, but if you can't pinpoint it, that next brew could be down the drain as well. It has happened to other peeps on here.

Wonky
To Busy To Add,