Oxy + First Kegging advice

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Smeg0rz

Oxy + First Kegging advice

Post by Smeg0rz » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:38 pm

Hi, I've just purchased my first cornelius keg and got my kegerator setup ( currently brewing some beer which will be ready next week ) So now I'm looking at how to clean them. I've got an Oxy clean power and starsan.

My question about the oxi clean ( https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/equipment ... o-oxi.html ) I purchased this before realising u can get much cheaper from aldi / liddle?

Anyway... Do I fill the whole thing up with warm water and add the recommended amount per litre, then place the lid on... I've heard this creates a seal / pressure that allows you to open the poppets to get the solution through... I would then leave this for around 10-20 mins, then connect the gas and run most of the solution out via tap... once done rince the keg a few times to ensure all product is out, fill with water and run the tap again to clean out the lines.. once done seal with some co2 until needed to use for brewing.

Come kegging day, release pressure take off the cap then place around 2-4 litres of starsan solution in keg, connect co2 and pressurise then shake the solution about in the keg to fully sanitise, then release some via tap, take off lid then leave to dry upside-down.... Then with the lid off, connect co2 again and give it a squirt of gas to force oxygen out fill keg with beer put lid on and pressure .

pressurise keg to seal, then select rigt PSI from table, leave connected to co2 on that PSI in fridge and it should be carbonated within the week? Leave at that PSI to dispense?

Cheers, as u can tell i've picked up a bit here and there just to get an idea of what to do for my first kegging attempt.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Oxy + First Kegging advice

Post by Fil » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:25 pm

sounds about right .. your link isnt working.. try using the [url] tags ;)

fwiw no need to fill a keg up beyond 55% full, simply turn the keg upside down for 10 mins, to soak/clean the top half.. ;)

to clean thru the posts/popets grab a towel and use a teaspoon handle to depress the poppet centre, it will spray everywhare so do it outside ;) same for the rinse/starsan..

and you can use a lot less starsan just enough to fill the bottom dome 1/2 a liter or less..

the stuff u bought could be the sanitising oxi product which if so you can just forget the starsan completely as long as its used within 10mins of mixing.. iirc it expires after 10 mins or so and looses its sanitation qualities...
the laundry oxi i use is way cheaper and isnt concentrated enough to be a no rinse sanitiser too hence the need for starsan too.

if using laundry oxi you want to rinse b3fore sanitising with starsan..

happy kegging.. ps clean/sanitise the beerline/tap at the same time as the keg,
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Smeg0rz

Re: Oxy + First Kegging advice

Post by Smeg0rz » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:30 pm

Excellent, this is pretty much the info i wanted to know ( volumes etc to use to clean ) thanks for that. Yes it's the sanitiser product, next time i'll just get the Oxi stuff you mentioned as I already have loads of starsan concentrate left.

cheers again