Malt miller Starsan

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
quixoticgeek

Malt miller Starsan

Post by quixoticgeek » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:18 am

I bought a bottle of the malt millers non rinse cleaner. It mentions that I shouldn't use hardwater with it. Given I live in Kent, and our water comes out on the high end of hard, I'm thinking I'm gonna need to use bottled water.

Can anyone think of a reason not to use sainsburies basics bottled water with this stuff? Are there any bottled waters I should avoid?

Julia

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Malt miller Starsan

Post by Pinto » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:52 am

The cheapest bottled waters tend to be just filtered tap water so may still be high in mineral content. Most use Tescos Ashbeck spring water as it is known to be quite soft water. Look on the bottle label - there should be a mineral analysis on there
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:15 am

quixoticgeek wrote:I bought a bottle of the malt millers non rinse cleaner. It mentions that I shouldn't use hardwater with it. Given I live in Kent, and our water comes out on the high end of hard, I'm thinking I'm gonna need to use bottled water.

Can anyone think of a reason not to use sainsburies basics bottled water with this stuff? Are there any bottled waters I should avoid?

Julia
My water is circa 250 ppm alkalinity so goes a little milky when diluted, some have said this means it is ineffective. This is not necessarily true. Starsan becomes effective at a pH<3. If you try a little at the appropriate dilution level and can measure the pH you may find you are under this so can use ordinary water. You could even acidify the water to bring the pH down, all of which is cheaper than bottled.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

BenB

Post by BenB » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:19 am

I've used waitrose stuff and although it went cloudy the pH remained good and low. Ashbeck does seem to be a good choice. Sainsburys is Grampian and is pretty hard. Tasty but perhaps too high in bicarbs- I just used that to make a starter.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:50 pm

+1 for ashbecks.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:13 pm

Hi,
There are many ways you can over come this. IMHO

rain water collected, this time of year there's plenty. So just boil it and let cool maybe pour it trough a paper filter.
RO water. From a fish shop. That's a shop that does not sell chips at the same time. And the fish are alive not dead.
Or if you know anyone that has a marine setup or keeps discus. ( special water requirements) should have an RO unit, swap a few beers for a gallon or two.

At the mo I use the first option, from shed roof-200lt plastic drum. I don't take water for a day after it rains just to let any crap settle. although I do know someone with an RO unit, I've been using it to dilute my hardness down. Brighton water probably as hard as yours.
Wonky.
To Busy To Add,

quixoticgeek

Post by quixoticgeek » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:00 am

At 20p for 2L, I tried the sainsburies basics water. It went cloudy. Annoying, as I don't have a Tesco store locally, and don't own a car. Will investigate options.

Julia

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Post by GAZ9053 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:30 am

I use water from my de humidifier. Stays clear as a bell.

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:01 pm

GAZ9053 wrote:I use water from my de humidifier. Stays clear as a bell.
Just bought a dehumidifier so might have to try that. I've been buying deionised water from the car section in the local Tesco, as I found RO water turned cloudy pretty quickly (no PH meter to check if it was still OK).

Cheers,

Bob.
I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:18 pm

k1100t wrote:
Just bought a dehumidifier so might have to try that. I've been buying deionised water from the car section in the local Tesco, as I found RO water turned cloudy pretty quickly (no PH meter to check if it was still OK).

Cheers,

Bob.

It can only be a very poorly serviced RO Unit, ie, the membrane is shagged,

Iirc. Deionised water is RO water that has been polished. Ie the resin mops up the few minerals that can seep pass..
To Busy To Add,

Hugh Jampton

Post by Hugh Jampton » Tue May 26, 2015 11:32 pm

I never thought of that. I keep chucking it away.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed May 27, 2015 1:52 pm

I started off doing that, until I found some mould growing in dehumidifier collection bucket.

As Starsan isn't effective against fungus I decided I'd use bottled water from then on.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.