Hose gun

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Rankin_leigh
Steady Drinker

Hose gun

Post by Rankin_leigh » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:45 pm

Hi all.

Has anyone researched/found a hozelock spray gun that's food safe?

Ive just found the internal parts of mine have got rust on them, and giving off a rust sludge.
Stupid design for a hose, I'd assumed that it was just plastic inside, but clearly not.
I've been using it for a while, thankfully I haven't had any effects that I know of, but don't want to use it now.
Anyone know of a hozelock style spray gun that's either all plastic (and safe plastic) or stainless steel etc...

Thanks.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Hose gun

Post by Jocky » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:17 pm

You want to search for ‘washdown gun’. That’s what breweries use. They start at around £30.

Not hozelock out of the box but they usually have bsp threading on them so you can add hozelock fittings.

If you’re concerned about this you should also get food safe hose - the blue potable water ones.

Having said that, if you just run out the water left sitting in the gun/hose before use, the amount of contaminants leaching into the fresh water coming through is a tiny fraction of any harmful level.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Rankin_leigh
Steady Drinker

Post by Rankin_leigh » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:56 am

Perfect, thanks.
I only found the rust after the old hose gun had started to leak, not enough to worry about for garden use, but annoying across the garage, so was going to look for a sprayer that I kept away from the little constantly dropping it.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:46 pm

Other end of the scale. Bidet hose guns also work well (all plastic)