Grainfather High Performance Cleaner

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:34 pm

How do those of you who use the Grainfather High Performance Cleaner rate it? Have you ever had any problems?

Please note, at the moment I'm not looking for recommendations for something cheaper or anything anyone thinks works better.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Grainfather High Performance Cleaner

Post by Dennis King » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:08 pm

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:49 pm

Binkie Huckaback wrote:
Please note, at the moment I'm not looking for recommendations for something cheaper or anything anyone thinks works better.

Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:25 am

I could recommend the wife then 🤣🤣🤣

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:37 am

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:55 am

To perhaps make things a little clearer, some more info which I didn't add originally, as I thought a short and simple question might be best and then add some more info with further questions if there were any replies. By the way, if the Moderators think this may be best filed under the Grainfather and All on One section, please feel free to move it, or I can add it there too.

I always use the Grainfather cleaner as per the instructions after brewing and rinse through with very hot water and I've never had any reason to doubt it's efficacy. Also, before each brew day, I flush through again with very hot water.

Last brew day, for some reason, while cleaning everything slowed to a trickle. The pump was pumping, so assumed a blockage. When I first bought my Grainfather, on the advice of someone on a forum, bought a bicycle pump to blow out any water in the counter-flow chiller through, but it didn't fit, so never used it.

In desperation, I tried just holding the pump against the silicone hose and it *kind of* worked. However, the I spotted an adaptor in the handle (having not owned a bike for decades, I've not had use for a pump, so think I can be forgiven!). Anyway, the pump now fits and I gave it a good old blow back through and a load of slivers of crap blew back into the Grainfather of the kind that surprise you when you think you have a very clean bottle and use a bottle brush on it.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a photo, but managed one of a single 'flake' which I'll add below. They're maybe the size of a staple.

So, my question really, is: is the Grainfather cleaner not as high performance as it claims, or am I doing something wrong?
20220629_183801.jpg
20220629_183801.jpg (576.6 KiB) Viewed 3216 times
Once again, I'm only interested in people's experiences with the product in question, not recommendations for another product.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:20 pm

I wonder if it is the cleaner or the design of the GF that has allowed it to happen.
I cannot really comment on the performance of the GF particular cleaner BUT I would be tempted to try a (preferably) unscented dishwasher tablet on a long hot recirculating clean; if it clears out a lot of the crap then you might have your answer with regard to the GF cleaner performance. I would then run a standard clean to remove any surfactants that might be left behind.
I know other members have mentioned before about taking their pump apart occasionally for a deep clean, maybe they can weigh in. Can you confirm whether the CF chiller was part of the cleaning loop or is the blockage in the GF itself?

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:20 pm

I used the grainfather cleaner for the first couple of years. When I first moved used the chemclean a lot more gunk came out. Having said that I've never had an infection since I've had the grainfather.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:17 am

f00b4r wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:20 pm
I wonder if it is the cleaner or the design of the GF that has allowed it to happen.
Absolutely agree. Pumps need to be be stripped occasionally to prevent this sort of thing.

I will add, never found chemicals powerful enough to negate this completely, even when I researched CIP.

I use TFR (truck wash) which is in effect liquid dishwasher tablet.