Using Starsan

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
greenxpaddy

Re: Using Starsan

Post by greenxpaddy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:53 pm

Befuddler wrote:
greenxpaddy wrote:Does anyone know if diluted starsan eats stainless steel? I want to leave my casks with a small amount of starsan in to store. Will this affect the stainless steel? Or will the effect be negligible.
It should be absolutely fine. There's a brew strong show on cleaning with one of the chemists from Five Star here. He mentions having left a starsan solution in a corny for 6 months with no ill effect. The bit you want starts at 46:25.
Many thanks

suls

Post by suls » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:43 pm

RabMaxwell wrote:I used Star San last night for the first time to sanitise 6 cornies when kegging what a friggin nightmare never seen so much friggin foam :evil: .I had to rinds the foam out with kettles of boiling water even this took a few rinses as the foam was all the way to the top of the cornies. I will go back to iodophor for keg sanitising & use star san for light duties in a spray bottle :shock:
Don't fear the foam !!! (as they say) :D :D Seriously plenty of threads else where regarding this, basically ignore the foam and bung your beer on in... feels unnatural as hell but is fine...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourcei ... Muwcrbrr78

Also I dont believe it matters if your water goes cloudy when you chuck your starsan in, the key thing is the PH, basically if the PH is 3 or under it will do the job.... Our water in these parts is sh*** so my starsan mix goes cloudy straight away, however test PH strips show it to have a PH of 2 and it seems to work...

Hope this helps -

suls

Post by suls » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Dupe Post

Berko

Post by Berko » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Hi guys,

Got my bottle of Starsan here. There are two reservoirs full of liquid though, the main bottle, and a small 30ml reservoir with it's own separate cap. It's a slightly different colour from the main liquid in the bottle as well. Do the two need to be mixed before I add it to my diluted mix?

Belter

Post by Belter » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:50 pm

although they look different they are actually the same thing. I just use the measured on the right and pour from that opening

Berko

Post by Berko » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:52 pm

Brilliant, thanks mate :)

deadbeatrocknroll

Post by deadbeatrocknroll » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Evening.

I think I've been making more work for myself.....

For the last few years I've been "cleaning " with VWP, then rinsing, then "sanitising" with starsan....

I think I've been doubling my work....so....I can just scrub a FV clean of crap, then starsan it? eliminate the vwp stage?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:21 am

deadbeatrocknroll wrote:Evening.

I think I've been making more work for myself.....

For the last few years I've been "cleaning " with VWP, then rinsing, then "sanitising" with starsan....

I think I've been doubling my work....so....I can just scrub a FV clean of crap, then starsan it? eliminate the vwp stage?
you can substitute a cleaner like laundry oxy for vwp, for cleaning the fv, best to avoid scrubbing with anything coarse tho as you dont want to put scratches into the soft plastic.. rinse well and then use a no rinse steriliser yes..

but no ones ever brewed bad beer cos of being too careful with cleanliness and sterility. but the laundry oxy is a fraction of the vwp price..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

winka

Post by winka » Thu May 02, 2013 5:22 am

So I've been wantin to use starsan for ages but I have quite hard water (don't know the ph) but, could I mix 3 mil with 2 liters of bottled water, throw it in fv swish it all over then back into 2 liter bottle for next time?
Most of the info I can find all seems to be about spray bottles
Cheers:wink:

jaberry

Post by jaberry » Thu May 02, 2013 1:40 pm

winka wrote:So I've been wantin to use starsan for ages but I have quite hard water (don't know the ph) but, could I mix 3 mil with 2 liters of bottled water, throw it in fv swish it all over then back into 2 liter bottle for next time?
Most of the info I can find all seems to be about spray bottles
Cheers:wink:
Yep, I use a 5lt bottle of Tesco Ashbeck that way

winka

Post by winka » Thu May 02, 2013 3:11 pm

Cheers, can't believe I've been rinsing all this time!
Off to order some now
Cheers :wink:

winka

Post by winka » Fri May 03, 2013 12:34 am

Probably a stupid question but do you reckon asda 5l water will be ok?
Tescos is like a £5 petrol drive away lol
Cheers :wink:

jonnyt

Post by jonnyt » Mon May 13, 2013 11:08 am

Just use tap water it is perfectly fine. If you are 100% sure just acidify it a little

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:15 am

Daft question if you get a 5 litre bottle add the required stars an seal it back up and shake to mix it up won't it start foaming or does it only foam when you tip a litre or soo in an Fv and let it properly oxidise.

Also would it a good idea to tip you have in your Fv into a small clear bottle check it hasn't gone cloudy then tip it back into your mass made bottle?

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:22 am

sbond10 wrote:Daft question if you get a 5 litre bottle add the required stars an seal it back up and shake to mix it up won't it start foaming or does it only foam when you tip a litre or soo in an Fv and let it properly oxidise.

Also would it a good idea to tip you have in your Fv into a small clear bottle check it hasn't gone cloudy then tip it back into your mass made bottle?
No, check its pH hasn't gone above 3.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer