Using Starsan

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
simco999

Re: Using Starsan

Post by simco999 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:52 pm

OK - I think this is the appropriate thread!!

New bottling regime - using bottling tree for bottles rinsed in the dishwasher - then rinsed using Starsan.

OK - I've put all my bottles through the dishwasher - rejected a couple as they didn't seem squeaky clean. Rinsed the rest with Starsan (prepared in cooled boiling water as opposed to distlilled water - far too anal for me) - if it foams up too much does that mean it was too concentrated???

Then let the bottles rest on my tree! Filled from the primary FV - which I primed using 7 tablespoons of brewing sugar in boiled water.

Recipe for disaster - possibly?? - plus I am a little bit pished - alert the media!!

Results to be announced!!

simco999

Post by simco999 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:00 pm

F##k me - thought I was the be all end all of bottling - first time ever - hand capping a bottle and it burst on me. Showered with glass - tiny cuts but blood all over.

Bastard thin glass bottles.

Beware!!

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Thu May 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Jim wrote:
theratroom wrote:The link to the interview with charlie talley doesn't work is there anywhere else I can read or listen to it I would be interested
Thanks
The newsletters that Chris contributed to have been removed until I get round to editing out his contribution to them. Sorry!
Call me nosey - and I am, but I've read a few threads that make make reference to editing out the existence of this guy Chris. What happened to cause his fall from grace, or was it the forum's fall from grace, or something else? :?:
Best wishes

Dave

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Thu May 03, 2012 3:33 pm

Quick Summary: After years of superb contributions to this site, Chris had a falling out and was asked to leave the forum. He did so but requested that all his posts be removed, which was done. Shame really :(
Dan!

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Thu May 03, 2012 3:39 pm

Andy wrote:Quick Summary: After years of superb contributions to this site, Chris had a falling out and was asked to leave the forum. He did so but requested that all his posts be removed, which was done. Shame really :(
I see, yes it's always a pity when differences fail to resolve. Thanks for indulging my nosiness.
Best wishes

Dave

Kilting

Using Starsan

Post by Kilting » Sat May 12, 2012 3:34 pm

5Ltr bottle of de-ionised water at Halfords is £3.99.

screen

Post by screen » Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 am

Never seen starsan for sale in uk.

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:57 pm

screen wrote:Never seen starsan for sale in uk.
Not looked hard enough then. Try HERE

simco999

Post by simco999 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:58 pm

Yep - thats where I got mine. I don't use deionised water - seems fine - about 6 brews done with Starsan and no infections.

screen

Post by screen » Wed May 23, 2012 11:30 pm

£16.32 delivered. To be fair, I look across the room and see the missus. She's been on facebook for 3 hours. I turn my laptop screen out of her glorious sight. And buy it.

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:47 am

There is a smaller size also available, but unless you go mad with it, it will last you absolutely ages and ages :)

Skittlebrau

Post by Skittlebrau » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:58 pm

I bought a 5 litre bottles of de-ionised water at Makro and have now made this up into 5 litres of no-rinse strength Starsan. I only had to use 8ml of Starsan to do this. I've done 7 brews now and have got through about 4 litres of the stuff (so that's about 6.4ml of Starsan) and believe me I am very liberal with it. Trust me, that bottle will last you ages and you won't regret it. As a relatively new brewer, using Starsan for my sanitation is probably the single best decision I made when I was researching and choosing which methods I would use. If you make a santitation mistake you can often correct it or limit damage as soon as you realise, without having to rinse the sanitiser off again.

greenxpaddy

Post by greenxpaddy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:06 am

Does anyone know if diluted starsan eats stainless steel? I want to leave my casks with a small amount of starsan in to store. Will this affect the stainless steel? Or will the effect be negligible.

Befuddler

Post by Befuddler » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:51 am

greenxpaddy wrote:Does anyone know if diluted starsan eats stainless steel? I want to leave my casks with a small amount of starsan in to store. Will this affect the stainless steel? Or will the effect be negligible.
It should be absolutely fine. There's a brew strong show on cleaning with one of the chemists from Five Star here. He mentions having left a starsan solution in a corny for 6 months with no ill effect. The bit you want starts at 46:25.
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

BrewBoyJoe

Post by BrewBoyJoe » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:54 am

Not sure if they would go slimy, but starsan does not need a long time to sanitise. In fact only 30 seconds according to John Palmer (classic brewing text).